Rooting D-4 for dummies?

snowman

Reaction score
I'd like to root my D-4 just to get rid of some of the junk that comes on it that you can't get rid of........but
I 'm not stupid and been hacking other stuff for years but can't figure this rooting out,
I've downloaded all kinds of stuff from links on here but none of it ever seems to work?
Is there a rooting for dummies link somehwere that kinda explains what the heck rooting is
and if I'm understanding this right after the Root you need to install someones Rom that they have created is that right?
I'd like a rom sorta of how the phone comes just being able to do with it what I'd like
Thanks guys and Gals I appreciate it......snow

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Root is just like being an Administrator account on a Windows PC, whereas typically you are just a user. Root gives you the ability to remove, change, edit, whatever files in locations a typical user does not have "write/create/modify/delete" access too.

You do not have to do anything after rooting. Rooting is just gaining access. I run the stock ROM with root and then use Titanium Backup to freeze a ton of Motoblur services and things I do not care about. I also can run apps that require root (Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetDNS, etc...).

The easiest way to root is just to use Razrs_edge, a dos based .bat file. You phone must have USB debugging checked and be in either MTP or PTP mode when you connect it via USB to your computer (not Mass Storage). You run the .bat file, it reboots your phone a few times and you are done.

Download the .zip Razrs_edge_windows.zip https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5O5JKRZTsGjMkNTcXlFTFVhVXM/edit?pli=1

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
tcrews Thnaks so much for the explanation I really appreciate the help, I'll try that method as per the link to root
a couple questions what is
" use Titanium Backup to freeze a ton of Motoblur services" what is that you mean like junk apps and why have a backup when I root am I erasing the phone then reinstalling all apps? and yes I'd like to just use the stock Rom also
also would you backup then delete what you want or will everything still be there your just gaining access?

in the past most I downloaded you had to turn on debug then enter camera mode to get out of mass storage mode but they stiil did not work?

thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it,snow

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Rooting is not touching the phone at all really, it's just applying su (Super User account) with known access and putting the SuperUser.apk in the /system/app folder. SuperUser.apk is just the control interface so that when apps/processes request su they don't get it unless you allow it (or deny for those you don't want to have access that may request it).

Everything else is still there....all your apps, all your files, all your settings...untouched....it's just two items copied to your phone, su and SuperUser.apk (well.. a limited busybox is copied as well to make things easier).

You need to have the latest motorola USB drivers installed on your PC so that you can connect your phone to your PC and talk to it. With USB Debugging enabled on the phone and the phones connection set to MTP or PTP, the .bat file will do a few temp root functions and then while it's temporarily rooted, push the su to /system/bin and the Superuser.apk to /system/app. This permanently roots your device (unless you fastboot flash the system.img or you get a new OTA).

Once it's done, the only difference you'll see is the SuperUser.apk in your app drawer.

You can stop there and do nothing else....you have a rooted phone. Root now allows you to install Safestrap (requires you to install the Busybox from the market though as it needs the full one) which allows you to install other ROMs. Without root, you can't do that.....but you don't have to install other ROMs. Like I mentioned, I just use the Freeze option in Titanium Backup to remove the service/process/app from being called when an "intent" function of an app is processed....ie a navigation process calls the "intent' navigate....any app that responds to that will be processed and loaded (Map, Navigation, VZNavigator). I freeze the VZNavigator apps/services and they no longer are available to be called, this keeps them from running or showing in the app drawer. The app is still there for OTA update purposes, since an OTA is applied in recovery and just checks the file name/size and does not know that the OS when booted doesn't see it.

So freeze apps (do not delete/remove) and have full access to the file system (/system and all) once you have root access.

Root is the level of access you have....so it just changes your access level, not your phones OS/settings/apps/etc....

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
I get this message
"ADB" is not reconized as an internal or external command,operatable program or batch file
I get this message about 10 times then it sas at the end exploit complete.
prees any key to continue or exit
the phone never reboots?

OP
snowman

snowman

Reaction score
Hey Hey I got it finally thanks so very much excellent explanation and it worked well with a couple trys
I really want to thank you for answering all my questions and hope this will help many others as myself who have no idea
of what the heck it is , I have read a lot about rooting and never really caught on to it. yout explanation really was good!!
your the best much thanks, snowman