Rooting Advice

ohiorebel

Reaction score
Please accept my appologies for asking so much at one time...

I rooted my droid x today after the latest android system update with Z4root version z4root 1.2.0, I tried Z4Root verison 1.3.0 but it did not root.

So now that I'm rooted I downloaded the following apps:

Super Launcher
Super manager

However with these two, I only remember downloading one of them did the other comes as an add-on to it? What exactly do they do? I discovered that I can not kill super launcher from the top of the screen I always see blue arrow with dots on it running. Is it posible to shutdown or kill?

Also downloaded:

drocap2 - kindoff figured this one out.
setcpu (had to buy this one) - any suggested settings - Im a bit clueless to this app

wireless tether - this one I figured out

Is there a application that will allow me to sort my pictures in seperate files? As of right now my droid place every picture I take in one file (dcim). Additionally, I'm also looking for an app to increase my droind volume for calls does it exist?

Below is a screen shot of the super launcher again is it possible to kill this app or should I leave it running?

HHF2

Reaction score
As far as overclocking, dx/d2 overclock is the one I use. It comes with all settings pre-programmed all you choose is the clock speed that you want. JRummy also has a good overclock app as well. Both of these were made specially for the dx and d2 so are better in my opinion.

The photos can be organized using your computer. Just plug it in and drop and drag to whichever folder you would like.

I will read the rest of the post later and see if I can help on anything else, I am driving to with and am bored. Good luck!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
idk what that app is so cant help there

2 things though.
1 - dont autokill with the task killer you have on ur phone.
2 - setCPU will not help much on the DX. u need a script OCing app like JRummys

OP
O

ohiorebel

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones help...

Do I need a manger like super launcher??? If not I'll just delete it. Or can anyone recommend anything specific to manage my phone?

If setcpu is not functional on a droid x than I'll go with the recommendation of DX/D2.

What is the best task killer like program to get....preferably a free one?

Also just an additional general question...Since I rooted with Z4root, when i power down and power back up the droid x will unroot it self automatically or will it ask me first?

If it does unroot itself will I loose all programs i placed on the phone after rooting, i.e. drocap2, wireless tether and such?

sephtin

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones help...

Do I need a manger like super launcher??? If not I'll just delete it. Or can anyone recommend anything specific to manage my phone?

If setcpu is not functional on a droid x than I'll go with the recommendation of DX/D2.

What is the best task killer like program to get....preferably a free one?

Also just an additional general question...Since I rooted with Z4root, when i power down and power back up the droid x will unroot it self automatically or will it ask me first?

If it does unroot itself will I loose all programs i placed on the phone after rooting, i.e. drocap2, wireless tether and such?

Android has all kinds of utilities to "manage your phone"...
You only need something additional, if it provides additional functionality that you want above and beyond android. It doesn't sound like you even know what super manager is doing for you, so my personal suggestion is to remove it.. You can always add it back later if there is a need, or you find it has something to offer.

SetCPU does work on the X, but it won't OC/UV. You need one of the apps (or scripts) that can help with it. Look for JRummy16's DroidX Overclock app:
Droid Overclock - Android app on AppBrain
That's the one I recommend, anyway. With it, no point in having SetCPU really...

Ahh, the million dollar task killer question. Read this:
FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android (geekfor.me) - xda-developers

Or TLDR: DON'T USE TASK KILLERS ON ANDROID... EVER.
The ONLY reason you need to kill tasks on android.... is if they become unresponsive, or stuck. In that case, you can have an app, or simply:
Menu> Settings> Applications> Manager Applications> all tab> (the app you want to kill), and press "Force stop".
No app is required if you do it that way. (If you have an app for some other reason that has the ability to kill tasks, it may be convenient to have one press for the ability).

Rooting: Essentially the process of "rooting" the DroidX, is to copy 3 files to the device. Those are /system/(x)bin/su, /system/xbin/busybox, and /system/app/Superuser.apk. With those 3 files, most any application that requires root can function. Once those files are there, they won't go anywhere unless something is done to remove them. Rebooting won't make root go away.

Likewise, programs don't go anywhere on the phone unless removed somehow also.

Hope that helps!
Good questions! If you have more, don't ever be afraid to ask.. this is totally the right place to be asking them!

OP
O

ohiorebel

Reaction score
sephtin....Thanks for the great info in your reply to my post. My task killer no long funcions on auto kill.

A few additional questions:

I noticed today that if USB debuggung is checked on my Droid X, my PC running windows 7 will not connect to my Droid X is this normal?

1. Is there a suggested method for unrooting my droid X when initially rooted with Z4root?

2. Suggest settings for dx/d2

3. Suggested back-up program

Thanks again for the info everyone!

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sephtin....Thanks for the great info in your reply to my post. My task killer no long funcions on auto kill.

I noticed today that if USB debuggung is checked on my Droid X, my PC running windows 7 will not connect to my Droid X is this normal?

1. Is there a suggested method for unrooting my droid X when initially rooted with Z4root?

1 z4root will unroot too

2 everyphones different start low and go up til it wont respond/reboots then mess around with that

3 titanium backup is a great app. id check it out

sephtin

Reaction score

How do I unroot with Z4root?

1) Run z4root again, and read what the options are now.. One of them should be "unroot". :p
Edit: The manual process for unrooting (if ever required).. is simply to delete the 3 aforementioned files: su, busybox, Superuser.apk. But if you do remove the files... then the apps that require root will no longer function properly.

2) I assume you mean overclocking... Abe's suggestion is a great one. Start small, and push it up testing in between.. NEVER set it to use the settings on boot (until you've found settings that work for you).
Someone told me that a good judge of stability was to run each of the following: linpack, quadrant (they ran them a couple times)...
At some point, the phone will become unstable, or go into "turtle mode".. which is a safety measure if it gets clocked too high... When you find that place.. back it down 2 (TWO) notches... and you should be safe.

Backing it down should future proof your OC (as in, you shouldn't wake up one day and have tons of reboots because the device can't hold that clock anymore), and also lowers risk of file corruption, etc. etc. Not required, but I do recommend it.

3) Nothing, and I mean nothing.. beats nandroid for backups. It's a manual process, but taking a nandroid once a week or so is the best way to recover from ANYTHING.
For application data, MyBackup and Titanium are the clear options.. but unfortunately MyBackup is a free trial, not free like titanium (When I tried MyBackup, I liked it a lot, but can't beat free.. ;)

Probably didn't add anything of real value to Abe's response... but *shrug*.. happy to try to help if I can! :)

Last edited:
OP
O

ohiorebel

Reaction score
Things are beginning to fall into place, however I did notice a thing strange.

1. When usb debbuging is checked.....Its hard to access my droid through the PC. In other words my droid will not show up when I select PC mode. If I uncheck usb debbuging I can generally get my PC to recognize the droid X. The droid wont even charge in PC mode, to get it to charge I have to select charge only.

2. I downloaded and installed Titanium. will this app back up everything I select including aps I paid for like dx/d2?

3. Do I still need to run the default app "backup asst?

Additionlly, is it possible to split the gallery into different folders?

Oh...and one more thing, I tried running with usb debugging unchecked while rooted and everything got sluggish......is that normal?

sephtin

Reaction score
Things are beginning to fall into place, however I did notice a thing strange.

1. When usb debbuging is checked.....Its hard to access my droid through the PC. In other words my droid will not show up when I select PC mode. If I uncheck usb debbuging I can generally get my PC to recognize the droid X. The droid wont even charge in PC mode, to get it to charge I have to select charge only.

2. I downloaded and installed Titanium. will this app back up everything I select including aps I paid for like dx/d2?

3. Do I still need to run the default app "backup asst?

Additionlly, is it possible to split the gallery into different folders?

Oh...and one more thing, I tried running with usb debugging unchecked while rooted and everything got sluggish......is that normal?

1) I've never had the USB connectivity issues. Hopefully resolved in latest version (Check for 1.9.5 here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/drod2169-x/109503-rubix-focused-1-9-5-a-3.html

2) Purchased apps will show up in market as "purchased" and let you re-download them any time, as long as you use the same gmail account, and are on the same device(phone).
Titanium WILL back those up. IF you use titanium for backups, make sure you don't restore system apps or system data.

3) BUA (BackUp Assistant) is specifically for backing up phone contacts to MyVerizon site. Not only is it not required, it's not even included in most ROMs..
Save yourself the headaches, and just migrate any contacts that you used to have syncing with MyVerizon using BUA over to Google Contacts via this method:
Migrating contacts from "Phone" (BackUp Assistant), to Google Contacts

4) Gallery app using multiple folders.
The gallery app SHOULD scan your sdcard periodically for pics, and show them in the correct folder. IF you create and move pics to another folder, they should show up in gallery under that new folder (as long as a file doesn't exist in the folder called ".noimage" (or is it ".noimages" ... I can't remember).

The Gallery doesn't put the images there, so I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish.. (?). Is there a reason you want to do this? If you provide more info, there may be another/better solution (?).

OP
O

ohiorebel

Reaction score
Has anyone had difficulties connecting to their PC with USB debugging checked?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had difficulties connecting to their PC with USB debugging checked?

Yup, I short reboot all the time. Been doing it since my OTA. Think mine is my ROM. But I know some that are having issues without a ROM installed also.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\