Rooted phone - problems updating OS

gfryno

Reaction score
I rooted my Droid 1 about 6 months ago to Android Version 2.2.1, build number FRG83D using instructions found in the article "Rooting the Droid 1 - regardless of OS version" at the following link:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

Several times per week, for the past several months, Verizon has been trying to push a FRG83G update to my phone and I cannot install it. It does not install on my phone, however, and I suspect it is due to how my phone was rooted (my understanding is that the root i installed has a component that rejects os updates).

I think I need a .zip file to download onto my phone and use that to apply the latest OS. Can anyone provide me a link to the latest stable OS for the Droid 1? Alternatively, does anyone have a link or instructions I can follow on installing the latest OS?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can perform the update. If you are using sprecovery, you can allow update.zip, then install update.zip.

You can also install Pete's odexed or deodexed froyo 2.2.2 ROM at www.peteralfonso.com

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
G

gfryno

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I will give one (or both) your suggestions a try and will let you know the results.

Gary

bigseksi66

Reaction score
Xperiencing similar problems...Plz Advize

Followed same post D1-root or unroot regardless of OS. Was rooted and running Sapphire for the longest. But, wanted fresh start, so, decided to flash FRG83G sbf file and revert back to stock, using this threads' procedures. Successfully installed Sbf recovery file (provided within thread)....however, my phone is rejecting the final prescribed 'update.zip' provided. Have validated this rejection is not due to an issue of file ext duplication.

Any suggestions welcomed. Just want to get rooted and start doing backups.

Thanks in advance, for anyone's help.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you flashing the sprecovery sbf file first?

bigseksi66

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for your fast response!! Still currently working on this as I type. Looking like driver issue...had prob accessing links for the rsd lite in the thread ...but, dl'd elsewhere with compatible drivers...so far, so good. Just rebooted...am going to continue pushing forward thru this process.

Thanks again for your interest. Will update. :icon_ banana:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good let us know if you have any more trouble.

bigseksi66

Reaction score
Just re-activated. Surprised to see alot of old stuff still on SDcard. I guess I expected MIUI and other pirate stuff to be gone too..like, a clean SDcard, straight from the factory. Just got your 2nd response. Thanks much. I love this place!!!!:icon_ banana:

bigseksi66

Reaction score
Back, again. Same problem. Successfully installed the sbf recovery file. But, unable to install the update.zip. Message: Installation aborted.
"Can't Mount Sdcard/update.zip

I've validated 'Mount Options' in recovery program, per FAQ troubleshooting as well as changing over to a different USB port. I just don't understand. File extensions permissions are lifted to show file types. Haven't duplicated zip.zip.

Frustrating. Any ideas warmly welcomed.

sbf recovery file is being loaded first, per directions.

Thanks!

bigseksi66

Reaction score
Reseated card. Problem remains. Is there another update.zip I might be able to substitute that might work? Could there be a conflict from the sbf file I initially flashed to gain stock config, and it being FRG83G?

I trust the file since I dl'd it off Pete's site. I dunno....:unsure:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can try popping over to RaidZero's section and download his recovery sbf and flash that and try flashing the zip through his...

bigseksi66

Reaction score
Thanks again, Guidot, for hanging in there with me.

I went over to RaidZero's and dl'd his sbf recovery. Flashed it, and then attempted to install MotoCache's update.zip (still on my SDcard).

Everything installed with the same swiftness and ease as a hot knife thru butter!

I can't explain it. But, I've got SuperUser now. :icon_ banana:

I really appreciate all the work all of you do here on the forum. You guys are great. I don't know why one worked and the other didn't. I'm just grateful to have this forum as a resource.

Thanks again!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a problem! You let us know if you have any other questions.

Glad you got going!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk