rooted... now what?

guns

Reaction score
I'm new to the hole rooting thing so I was wondering if someone could give me some directions or links on what all I can do with my rooted phone. I've got it rooted removed all the bloatware I didn't want and I hear it is suppose to improve battery life... Was wondering what custom roms would be good for a beginner but also be useful... Looking to improve speed even tho it is ok a lil laggy sometimes when playing games or txting to fast.. any help or links will be great.... Thx

Cookie_Monster

Reaction score
Really hard to say what custom roms will or is good for beginners because what is good for one might be bad for one. Go get some rooted apps for your phone like adfree from the market which removes ads from apps. links to roms i would look here or here. or in the this forum

OP
G

guns

Reaction score
Ok I will check them out! Thx alot for ur help

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
First thing you want to do is make sure you have made a backup of the stock system through clockwork recovery before you start modding. Then when you start flashing roms make sure you wipe data, cache and dalvich cache before you install a rom. I have use omfgb 1.3, MIUI and Incredible Sensation so far...all have been pretty good and have performed well for me...as long as I do not overclock them past 1.4ghz

Sent from my Incredible 2

OP
G

guns

Reaction score
Thx for all the input everyone! Every little bit helps... Still a noob... I downloaded Rom manager.. I'm assuming that's what ur talking about when u say clockwork?

Cookie_Monster

Reaction score
Rom manger you can make your backup of your current rom from there. there is a option in the app to do that. A back up is just in case you mess something up you can go back to the way it was b4 things went wrong. Now clockwork is a recovery where you flash things.

Define...clockworkmod...A recovery program that is often used to apply updates, ROMs, or create a back
up or restore a backup file

its alittle confusing i know but dont feel rushed if you dont know ask cause that is how we all got where we are is by asking

OP
G

guns

Reaction score
ok thx again... i got the rom manager and i made a backup of my phone.. thinking about tring to install a rom today! thing is i dont now how to clear my cache and dalvich cache? and is there anything else i need to do other then that? im guessing i need to just download a rom to my pc and save it to my sd card and then go into rom manager and install it through that? thx again

Cookie_Monster

Reaction score
From Rom manager you can install the Rom from your SD card from there and it should give you the option to wipe all that and make a back up

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

J

JriderG

I use root on my x for... wireless tether, custom Roms, and overclocking mainly.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
G

guns

Reaction score
tring my first rom now... i got cm7... dunno if ill keep it or not just wanna see how it looks... its working tho i do no that... thanks again for all the help

OP
G

guns

Reaction score
didnt really like that rom... didnt see the market app or a way to get it... couldnt figure out how to add contacts or anything... id really like to find a rom where i wouldnt lose the stuff i already have on my phone such as games apps etc... but i guess that is impossible... but if i can find out ill actually like i guess i can re add all that stuff :)

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
didnt really like that rom... didnt see the market app or a way to get it... couldnt figure out how to add contacts or anything... id really like to find a rom where i wouldnt lose the stuff i already have on my phone such as games apps etc... but i guess that is impossible... but if i can find out ill actually like i guess i can re add all that stuff :)

Try the ROM Incredible Sensation by MikRoms/Newt. It should bring a lot of your stuff over, it is Sense based like the original stock rom but has a lot of added features and is stable. You can download the zip file from xda forums or the MikRoms webpage. You can install zip from sdcard through rom manager or select boot into recovery and do it manually. Just make sure that your backup is still present and that you wipe data and cache before you install (sorry for being repetitive lol). Also make sure you download some kind of over flocking/under clocking app so your phone isn't ovcerclocked to ridiculous speeds...could be bad for phone if it is too high.

Sent from my Incredible Sensation using Tapatalk