ROOT the Thunderbolt (and a lot of others) in 5 minutes or less, NO DATA LOSS!

snmemx

Reaction score
I made this write-up on the sister Thunderbolt Forum. Thought it may be of some use to people here, too...

UNREVOKED-the 5 minutes or less ROOT without data loss!!!

I tried it last night and it worked great, although I do have a question...hopefully someone will see this and know the fix. I show Superuser running and installed SetCPU and it shows in my running apps. Here's the problem - when I start SetCPU, it didn't allow me to set it as Superuser. Then I installed Root Explorer, and some problem...wouldn't allow me to add it to the Superuser list...and when in Root Explorer, I could mount r/w, which means I can't move bloatware. I'm getting the feeling that using the Unrevoked method rooted the phone, but there's something funky on the Superuser program or the root process didn't completely root it.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it could've gotten hung up somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any input!

speachey

Reaction score
I tried it last night and it worked great, although I do have a question...hopefully someone will see this and know the fix. I show Superuser running and installed SetCPU and it shows in my running apps. Here's the problem - when I start SetCPU, it didn't allow me to set it as Superuser. Then I installed Root Explorer, and some problem...wouldn't allow me to add it to the Superuser list...and when in Root Explorer, I could mount r/w, which means I can't move bloatware. I'm getting the feeling that using the Unrevoked method rooted the phone, but there's something funky on the Superuser program or the root process didn't completely root it.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it could've gotten hung up somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I was able to add Root Explorer to the superuser list and could mount as r/w and r/o both. I was also able to add and set SetCPU as a superuser

snmemx

Reaction score
I was able to add Root Explorer to the superuser list and could mount as r/w and r/o both. I was also able to add and set SetCPU as a superuser

I just tried uninstalling/reinstalling Root Explorer and on start-up, it doesn't ask if I want to grant it superuser privileges. Weird stuff going on...guess I'll poke around in it some more. Did you use Unrevoked to root your phone?

speachey

Reaction score
Yeah, I did it two nights ago and it worked for me. However I should say that as soon as rooted, I immediately loaded the new gingeritis Rom so maybe that's why mine works

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

snmemx

Reaction score
Yeah, I did it two nights ago and it worked for me. However I should say that as soon as rooted, I immediately loaded the new gingeritis Rom so maybe that's why mine works

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Thanks. I recall getting a message either when installing setCPU or a root explorer that I had a SU file loaded on my SD card. That's the residual from the Unrevoked proces. Did you delete the SU zip file from your SD card after rooting?

speachey

Reaction score
Thanks. I recall getting a message either when installing setCPU or a root explorer that I had a SU file loaded on my SD card. That's the residual from the Unrevoked proces. Did you delete the SU zip file from your SD card after rooting?

I moved it off the root of the SD, I'm guessing that is exactly what is holding you up. Create a folder and move the su file there and give it a shot

OP
P

porsche996

Reaction score
That's interesting. I didn't think about having to leave the su file on the sd card. I hadn't deleted mine off, yet. Wonder if it has to stay in the same place or not? Hmm...

SquintyOS

Reaction score
I tried both su's given in those instructions and ended up having to use the su patch for the TB posted awhile ago. I had it on my SD card from when I had my TB rooted before the MR2 build so I resorted on that. It worked as I was able to get root priviledges and underclock the device with SetCPU. Now a few more tests.

ajk23az

Reaction score
I just tried this and I couldn't get past the ms-dos screen when it said "Zerging Root" @ 4:21 of the video ([video=youtube;-UK_CiB2SYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UK_CiB2SYk&feature=player_embedded[/video])

It just said failed to get root, press any key to exit.

Anyone know whats up?

EDIT: Tried again and it worked. Root checker verified I have root access.

Last edited:

drew

Reaction score
Are people actively using this? This thread seems to have low traffic for a simple root method. Just thought it was a little strange that no one has been posting "OMG OMG this works so well" considering it doesn't wipe your phone.

*update* It works great! I had a minor glitch with the superuser app, but it really is a simple root (that doesn't wipe your data).

Last edited:
OP
P

porsche996

Reaction score
Are people actively using this? This thread seems to have low traffic for a simple root method. Just thought it was a little strange that no one has been posting "OMG OMG this works so well" considering it doesn't wipe your phone.

*update* It works great! I had a minor glitch with the superuser app, but it really is a simple root (that doesn't wipe your data).

I'm actively using it... :)

I don't know if people are using it from this site or not. Doesn't matter to me... I used it, worked GREAT, and have a leaked version of stock Gingerbreak on my phone that's pretty well flawless.

Reaction score
some help me please...this may be a stupid question. when i downloaded the recovery file and clicked extract all and then went to the application and click on it it pops up for only a second then dissapears....what am I doing wrong

OP
P

porsche996

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the HTC Sync software installed. You need to uninstall that (and any other "Auto-Sync" programs) before you can use the recovery software package.

dfalcon217

Reaction score
Big huge thanks, used this process yesterday to root my recently purchased Tbolt. Easy to follow instructions, no wiping.

Cheers!