Root Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 On Android M

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Google made quite a few changes in the Android M Preview build. Some of those changes broke root for our devices. Chainfire has already stated that he is working on root for Android M, but while you wait on a new SuperSU package you can actually root your Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 on Android M now! The process is super easy. All you will need to do is download the Despair Kernel for your device from below, and the SuperSU zip. Once you flash the custom kernel you will be able to root your phone by flashing the SuperSu.zip once more! This does require an unlocked bootloader and TWRP.

Despair Kernel Nexus 5
Despair Kernel Nexus 6
SuperSU beta 2.49

EDIT: credit to our outstanding developer @buckmarble who's kernel code was key in getting this working on M build.

you can find his Nexus 6 thread linked below with both lollipop and M kernel downloads...

KERNEL Elite Kernel Shamu 5-27-15 UBER Nexus 6 XDA Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nice..........

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My kernel works for SU too. The SU fix in the Despair kernel for N6 was mine. Nice to see someone else getting all the credit for my fix.......

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
done deal my friend... and OP updated... Thank you for your work as one of many Nexus 6 users we appreciate it tremendously... love Nexus!

Tapped by NexusSix

Thank you Sir! Much Appreciated!