Root Android M Developer Preview 2 On The Nexus 6

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shamu_FINAL_WCopy_WMusic_SCREEN2.jpg

When the first Developer Preview of M came out for the Nexus 6 it was several days before anyone found a work around to get the build rooted. Developer "networkingpro" discovered an easy way to get root access on this build. Now that we have the 2nd build of the Android M Developer Preview for the Nexus 6 many of you are looking for a way to root the device. Users are reporting that the same method is working on the latest build. This method only requires you to flash the Elite Kernel and then flash the SuperSU2.49 package in custom recovery. Head to the link below for more information and download links.

via XDA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the 2nd preview of M is even buggier than the first... Still has a ways to go for a daily driver for a lot of us, but it does look nice...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I just put it on my phone last night. What kind of bugs are there? So far I haven't had any issues playing with it for a few hours. I always have my backup in case its terrible.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just put it on my phone last night. What kind of bugs are there? So far I haven't had any issues playing with it for a few hours. I always have my backup in case its terrible.

Myself and several other people had audio issues through headphones, crackly stuttering sound, there are lots of apps that FC, as they are not yet optimized for Android M, tons of battery drain issues, etc... I had Google Now FC'ing... my banking app, etc...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Myself and several other people had audio issues through headphones, crackly stuttering sound, there are lots of apps that FC, as they are not yet optimized for Android M, tons of battery drain issues, etc... I had Google Now FC'ing... my banking app, etc...

I don't use headphoens but the speakers have worked flawlessly, watched several YouTube videos on it already. No force closes yet. Have my Moto 360 paired, google now works just fine so far and not many issues....expect battery drain. Wifi has murdered my battery already today. Off the charger for 3 hours and it ate up 50% of the battery. I could see it dropping wifi constantly but didn't notice the battery drain. I turned wifi off. I'll for sure be flashing my nandroid back after work. I can deal with a lot but a battery dying that fast, makes the phone useless.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had the problem on the first preview as well. On P1, if I went into Google Now and trained it with my voice to access Google Now on any screen or when the screen is off, it screwed up the audio, and others reported a similar issue. But not all, of course.

On P2, I don't have to go in and set up Google Now, the audio is messed up right out of the gate. Stock kernel, stock everything, no root, no mods... Just a clean install...

I go back to 5.1.1 and it works flawlessly, so it is obviously software related, right?

I also saw poor battery life on P2, although it was fine on P1. My Suntrust banking app crashes as soon as I log in on both P1 and P2. No issues on Lollipop...

It is what it is... maybe P3 will be better.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah noticed it as well on my nexus 5 and nexus player. But you guys are right that it is full of bugs. I am not too concerned yet but it would suck if M had just as many bugs as L, which may force Google to have to build from the bottom versus trying to improve off of L.

Right now I'm keeping preview builds on my nexus 5 and keeping the L on my daily driver (Nexus 6).