Root and prl

findit

Reaction score
I am in a big former alltel market, where I live has poor reception on verizon. After getting droid on verizon plan it was given a verizon prl. Long story short I had to get a hybrid prl pushed to my droid, in which it chooses the altell towers over the verizon one's. If I root will it wipe out the prl and download the latest prl when it reboots? In that case it will download the verizon prl again. Or will it keep the hybrid one that is currently on it. And if it happens to install the verizon prl will they be able to push the hybrid if it is rooted. Thanks in advance for you help.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I can't answer your question but you shouldn't post in two sub forums one minute apart :(

Most users who can answer your question are going to be looking at the active topics and can see both of them so there is no need for two

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Sorry noobie here

It's all good. We all learn some time :)

From what I understand about PRL is that it just updates your local roaming depending on your location. So periodically you are supposed to update it in case they add more towers or change distances, etc.

If you travel a lot, I believe you should update it when you get to new places, etc.

I don't think it's going to have a major effect on your normal coverage, but if you are in a spotty area with an out of date PRL it will drain your battery because it's always searching for service.

If your account knows what towers you should be using, I think you should be fine updating your PRL whenever and it will adjust according to your account coverage.

This is all just a mildly educated guess though.

EDIT: I also know that when I root the only time my PRL changes is when I update it myself.

OP
findit

findit

Reaction score
I have an "alltel" tower closer. I have tried to update to the latest prl and my signal went way down. When I had them push the hybrid it went back up to full bars. Others in the house are still using the latest verizon prl, they all have one-two bars inside I have full.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I have an "alltel" tower closer. I have tried to update to the latest prl and my signal went way down. When I had them push the hybrid it went back up to full bars. Others in the house are still using the latest verizon prl, they all have one-two bars inside I have full.

Okay, well I've never head of the phone automatically updating a PRL, so just don't update it :p

And don't ever factory restore your phone, lol and you'll be good to go!

hehe

Even if you root, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to push the hybrid PRL back to the phone if you lose it for some reason.

OP
findit

findit

Reaction score
That's what I am trying to figure out. When you root and reboot does it reinstall anything OTA like when you update your programing.