ROM Manager??

pilot25

Reaction score
So I decided to root tonight. All is complete and I downloaded ROM Manager. I decided to also download AOKP ROM from within the ROM Manager. It downloaded fine then I did the ROM Pre-Installation that pops up after download. It has checked Wipe Dalvik Cache with two other boxes unchecked. I hit okay and it shows the little green man with an ! within a red triangle. It reboots up but the ROM control isn't in the Settings. I did it again but checked Wipe Data and Cache in addition to Wipe Dalvik Cache. Still no dice.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Stock recovery is what's getting you. You need to delete file boot-from-p (I think that's the name) and its located in system. You need to then reflash clockwork mod and ALWAYS wipe data when installing a new ROM. Wiping only dalvik will give you boot loops.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
thank you...

anyone know what the actual name of the stock recovery file is before I start deleting stuff?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
/system/recovery-from-boot.p <-- you will want to rename, move or delete that one.

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
I just did a factory data wipe but I'm guessing that's not what you meant by wiping data and cache. I'm also guessing since I stupidly did that I need to do another clockwork recovery thing with the su.zip file. I don't even know what the recovery does. I'm thinking I'm not cut out for this. It sounded so simple on Droid life. They don't mention a thing about deleting files that you guys recommend.

I'm going to throw this thing through the window soon.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The recovery is what you actually use to flash the ROM. ROM manager is nice for downloading, but I don't recommend using it to install.

I was saying to wipe data in recovery. Factory resetting the Nexus makes you lose all SD contents (a wipe in clockwork won't).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
Thanks syndicate. I appreciate the help. Going to give it another go today.

Do you, and most people, only install ROMs manually through your PC?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Thanks syndicate. I appreciate the help. Going to give it another go today.

Do you, and most people, only install ROMs manually through your PC?

When he says manually, he means by not using ROM Manager. You download the ROM yourself either through a PC or your phone, get the necessary file(s) onto your phone's sd card if you use a PC. You then reboot into recovery and do your install process. Backup, wipe, install ROM from sdcard, install GApps if necessary, and reboot into Android. ROM Manager in theory can do all of that, but it sometimes causes problems for some folks. So some folks avoid it.

While I personally never had any major issues with ROM Manager, I tend to not use it myself. For a few reasons:
- First I like to see what new features are added to the ROM, and possibly read other folks problems. I don't mind being a guinea pig with ROMs, but some folks really want stability. If a few folks are having problems with something a particular ROM, then there is a chance that the ROM broke something.

- Some developers don't update their ROM manager section as frequently as they do forums. Meaning an update could exist that isn't on ROM manager. For example you mentioned you were interested in installing AOKP, well AOKP Milestone 2 is the most up to date one in ROM Manager (that I see at least). Milestone 2 is a couple weeks old, maybe older. Actually Milestone 3 just came out.

- On my previous phone, the OG Droid, I used a recovery that wasn't compatible with ROM Manager. There is the possibility in the future I will use a recovery that isn't compatible with ROM Manager, basically anything that isn't Clockwork Mod Recovery won't work with ROM Manager.