ROM loading problems

dgr8ifier

Reaction score
I had originally loaded up CM7 months ago with no problems. Today, I spent 12+ hours trying to load up any ROM that states to use ICS (CM9, Liquid, MIUI, etc) and not a single one of them has booted so far. I'm using D2 Recovery Bootstrap, along with clockworkmod's ROM Manager initially, but everytime I load up the ROM in recovery and then restart my phone, it locks at the big white M. To make a long story short... help?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is your M red or white? I'm guessing that you're either flashing the wrong version of the Roms, or more likely that you're still on Froyo since you've been on CM7 for so long. CM9, MIUI V4, Galnet MIUI, Liquid ICS, and newer Liberty and CM7 versions require GB. Also, when loading ICS Roms you need to format and mount system after wiping data, cache, and dalvik.

OP
D

dgr8ifier

Reaction score
THANK YOU! That makes much more sense now. I know that the Red M means I'm on Gingerbread, but since I installed CM7 so long ago, I am on Froyo.

God bless you, sir. And these wonderful forums. Time to get me an Ice Cream Sandwich.

OP
D

dgr8ifier

Reaction score
Ok, I got the CM9 ROM to load, but I forgot to put in the Google Apps package. So, I loaded Bootstrapper and Clockworkmod Recovery, but when I restarted to go into recovery, I got stuck at the Red M. Now, I can't boot back into CM9 OR CWM Recovery. Help?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the future if you forget GApps all you need to do is connect to your USB port and transfer the Zip to the SD Card, then hold power and select reboot into recovery from the options, then flash it just like usual. You don't need to run Bootstrapper again once it has installed CWM. You may have to SBF and start over because unfortunately CM9 does not have the boot the Clockwork feature that is in certain other Roms.

First, try powering up while holding X. Once Andy shows up hit both the up and down volume toggles at the same time to get into stock recovery. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then reboot and see if CM9 will come up. If that doesn't work you're going to have to SBF.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
cm9 and many other roms, come with their own bootstrap and cwm, and reinstalling d2 bootstrap may mess with it
just press power select reboot, then select recovery