rild?

I just read up a bit on the RILD on the AOSP pages, and it seems that it is also of utmost importance when it comes to establishing and maintaining a data connection. Basically, anything that uses the CDMA/LTE baseband relies on the RILD.

If RILD is suddenly causing battery drain on your device, my first guess would be local tower issues. Perhaps your device is constantly losing connection and reconnecting, or dropping from 4G->3G and vice-versa.

This is very interesting. Yesterday my phone's battery suddenly went into a tailspin draining without even being used! I've tried rebooting, turning it on/off, etc. but with no fix. I noticed high Kernal and rild with the battery app but couldn't figure out why as I was purposefully hardly using the phone trying to figure out what was going on.

Today I was musing that my clock is 1 hour off. I'm on the western edge of eastern time zone. Across the lake (about 90 miles) is the central time zone and it's not uncommon for my phone to pick up those towers and thus reflect central time. Why it does that, instead of connecting to the tower about 10 miles east of me, is a mystery to me.

Anyway, I wondered if this could have anything to do with my rild problem so I went to the Data Manager settings and unchecked Data enabled and Background data. My battery dropped about 5% in 30 minutes which seemed a bit high to me but when I went back and checked the boxes in Data Manager again it dropped about 10% in 10 minutes!!!

It would appear that just what you are saying, Dave12308, is happening.

Today I noticed my phone was quite hot in the case so took it out, noticed that battery level was down to 60% (just 2 hours after being 100%) and eventually stumbled on the battery use which revealed that rild was consuming 39% of my battery. Powering down and 2 resets did not affect it so I powered down and put on the charger and it seems to be gone. I don't know about reception where I was today.

After fiddling with this some more, I don't think it's related to my data but is almost assuredly related to my phone signal. Not sure why, but when I'm home my phone is still not picking up the tower 10 miles east of me, but instead connecting to the tower 90 miles west - across Lake Michigan and in another time zone. So my battery is draining like crazy. But this weekend when I drove 35 miles east and spent a good part of the day within close range of other towers, my battery was great.

Coincidentally (?) I noticed that also starting last week we were experiencing some extremely large (C class) solar flares which can interrupt radio communications so perhaps that is related. I don't know, but I'm certain now that it is not a broken phone, dying battery or runaway app process - which is all good. What I don't know is how to get it to stop doing this and connect to my local tower! :blink:

Interesting connection. How do you determine what tower it is connecting to? This is happening extremely intermittently with me...it hasn't reoccurred in quite awhile.

Interesting connection. How do you determine what tower it is connecting to? This is happening extremely intermittently with me...it hasn't reoccurred in quite awhile.

It's easy in my case because I live on the southeast edge of Lake Michigan. So the tower to the east of me has Eastern time and the tower across the lake shows Central. When my phone is showing the time one hour earlier than it should be, I know it's connecting to a tower 90 miles to the west instead of 10 miles to the east. But unless you have a situation like that, I don't know how you can tell.

Back