Rezound Car Dock Report and Question

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hi all.

I was using generic docks/cradles for my Rezound and was starting to get concerned that, since the power port is on the bottom, I'd be putting too much pressure on that jack and I'd screw it up eventually.

So I sprung for both the Verizon Desk dock and the Verizon Car dock; both purchased at a local Denver verizon store.

The Desk dock works flawlessly WITH the installed extended battery and back and comes with power supply and cable.
It will NOT work with the extended battery AND any case that covers it to use with a belt clip.
Yay for the Desk dock/cradle.

The Car Dock is another story.
It mounts to the window perfectly. Plugging the power cord (not included) into the dock is a major pain and I could only do it with the dock in my hand. One big drag is that the OEM A/C power cord that comes with the Rezound and the dock will NOT plug into the Car Dock. It MUST be a standard micro usb end. Ooops Verizon.
Granted, one could only use that cable plugged into a power invertor but it's not like those are so uncommon.

Now the worse part.
I put the phone in the dock and fired up the navigation. The battery level was at 65%. I drove across town probably 30-45 minutes. The battery level stayed exactly the same the entire time. I've heard of people complaining about this so I did some experimenting.

Using a very cool free battery app called Battery Monitor Widget, of which I will be purchasing since the Dev has done SUCH a good job, I plugged the aftermarket DC power adapter directly into the phone. I've used this adapter with my D1 and with the Rezound and it worked. It charged the phone WITH navigation on.

On the main screen of the BMW (Bat Mon Widget) it shows if the phone is charging or discharging, if it's plugged into AC or DC power and the level, in mA, of charge or discharge.

When the DC charger was plugged directly into the phone I was getting +357 mA.
Plug it into the dock and mount the phone and it only gets +25mA!!!!
AND it fluctuates. I got as little as +7mA!!!
That means that either the LED in the dock is eating up 350 odd mA, or the dock has that much resistance.
FWIW the rating on that charger is DC 4.75-5.25v and 0-950mA.

Further testing ensued.
I plugged a stock OTA AC charging cable from my D1 into the power invertor. That charger is rated at 5.1v and 850mA.
Plugged straight into the phone I got 674mA. Plugged into the dock then the phone I got 485.
Again, a substantial drop in amperage, though it was only 200mA this time.

So, considering that I like the dock, I began looking for a DC charger that had more juice.
Walmart had one that they rated at 5v and 2000mA and is made to charge two phones simultaneously.
Ugh.
It's junk. I don't know how they can claim it puts out 2amps because plugged directly into the phone I only got 125mA, or something like that.
Ridiculous!!

So, finally, my questions.

Anybody know of a DC charger that will put out upwards of 1000mA at 5 volts?

Thanks.
B

mjones73

Reaction score
It's a known issue with the dock, pins 2&3 aren't shorted out so your phone thinks it's plugged into a PC and won't draw more then 500ma to charge with regardless how powerful your charger is. There is a user named kappen over on XDA who contacted ibolt about it (who makes the dock) and they sent him a new one with an updated board inside it and it now works for him. I'd suggest reaching out to ibolt.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21637333&postcount=22
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21670133&postcount=25

If your handy with a soldering iron, you can connect pins 2&3 together and fix the dock you have also. It's buried in this thread - http://androidforums.com/htc-rezound/458723-verizon-rezound-window-dash-vehicle-mount.html

I
just ordered one from Amazon because I need a dock too, waiting to see which version I get...

Last edited:

mjones73

Reaction score
I received mine yesterday, same problem, only getting about 500ma through the dock. I e-mailed ibolt about it to see if I can get it replaced.

On a side note, I use Waze instead of Google Nav and it doesn't draw as much power, I'm still able to get my phone to charge running Waze and Subsonic for music (which is constantly downloading from a server in my house). I like Waze because it's community driven, it uses feedback from it's users to post current road conditions, people can also manually post hazards, cops, accidents, etc and they show up on the map to give you fair warning. It will also try to drive you around bad traffic conditions.

Last edited:
OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Wow!
Waze sounds great!
I'll try it today!

And 500mA is pretty damn good actually. The stock charger that comes with the Rezound, plugged in to AC power, fluctuates and the highest reading I've ever seen is 818 and as low as 150ish if memory serves.
I can't get 500mA with any dc charger plugged in to the phone bypassing the car dock altogether!
What charger you using?

B
Loving my rooted bloatfree Rezound!

mjones73

Reaction score
I was doing my testing with a Kindle Fire home charger just to see if there is a drop, I was getting 800+ straight into the phone, 490ish through the dock. That to me supports the issue with the data pins not being shorted. It's part of the USB standard to stop devices plugged into a PC USB port from drawing too much power. Your typical home/car charger has those pins shorted so the device will know it can pull more then 500ma.

I'll do some testing with the Verizon charger I have and see what I get.

The Griffin PowerJolt line was recommended for a car charger because it's rated at 2.1amps.

Last edited:

mjones73

Reaction score
I have the generic Verizon micro usb with the second USB port on it, with no GPS or music running, I get 491ma through the dock, 550ma straight into the phone. Looks like once I get the dock fixed, I'm going to upgrade my charger too.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Me too.
I wrote them last Friday.
They emailed me today, said they would ship me another and assured me that it would not have the same problem.

B
Loving my rooted bloatfree Rezound!

mjones73

Reaction score
Good to hear, I'm gonna pick up a better charger once I get my new dock and see how that goes. Apparently the Powerjolt is available at Walmart.

mjones73

Reaction score
I got my new dock today, plugged it into the home charger to test, 800ma+! Looks like they fixed it. :)

Now for a stronger charger for the car...

sublimewade

Reaction score
A little info on the car dock. It will fit with the extended battery and a rubber case too. I also chopped out the charging port because I can put my phone in the thing faster and one never needs to charge that extended battery anyways its so powerful. Just a little fact it works with regular battery or regular battery and case extended battery and extended battery with mobi case ! I've heard some putting out wrong info about this.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

mjones73

Reaction score
I'll keep my charging port, it's not that hard to put the phone in... I'm currently using mine with the extended battery and no case.