Return phone for Refurb or not?

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
So I have accumulated dust under my screen on my original Droid and am wondering if I should try to play the refurb lottery or not. I know there are always problems/lemons when getting refurbs but you could get a lucky one. Anyone have any experience in this matter with refurbs? I don't really need to return my phone due to the dust on the screen but I do notice it from time to time. So, give me some insight on what I should do!
dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been on the same reburb "certified like-new" phone since mid January. No issues with it. For dust under the screen issues they will swap your phone out. Up to you.

My concern will be if I get dust under my screen after my first year. Dunno what happens then.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I have accumulated dust under my screen on my original Droid and am wondering if I should try to play the refurb lottery or not. I know there are always problems/lemons when getting refurbs but you could get a lucky one. Anyone have any experience in this matter with refurbs? I don't really need to return my phone due to the dust on the screen but I do notice it from time to time. So, give me some insight on what I should do!

You know the reason you're thinking that there is always problems is because the only people who talk about them are people with problems. The majority of people don't come in here and say, "hey got my refurb today and it's just as advertised, like new."

It's the internet, take what you read with a huge grain of salt.

OP
jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw

Reaction score

You know the reason you're thinking that there is always problems is because the only people who talk about them are people with problems. The majority of people don't come in here and say, "hey got my refurb today and it's just as advertised, like new."

It's the internet, take what you read with a huge grain of salt.

Yeah I understand... the information on this kind of stuff is very biased which led me to believe there are a lot of refurbs that were lemons. Anyways, I will end up returning the phone, what is the best way to go about this? *611 or going into a corporate VZW store?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know you don't have to send yours in until the new one arrives, but I'm the kind of guy that when I want something, I want it now:)

You're concerned a tad about the replacement phone too. Visit a store and give the thing a test run while you are there. Check the battery cover, that the keyboard slides out how you like it so it doesn't clickety clack when you tap the screen, that the gold finish isn't flaking off the camera button, that the headphone jack securely holds the jack, and that there is no dust underneath the screen.

OP
jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
I know you don't have to send yours in until the new one arrives, but I'm the kind of guy that when I want something, I want it now:)

You're concerned a tad about the replacement phone too. Visit a store and give the thing a test run while you are there. Check the battery cover, that the keyboard slides out how you like it so it doesn't clickety clack when you tap the screen, that the gold finish isn't flaking off the camera button, that the headphone jack securely holds the jack, and that there is no dust underneath the screen.
Yeah, I'm with you when it comes to wanting something. The big thing that makes me not want to call in for a new one is having to deal with waiting for the new one and having to send in my old one. Thanks for the tips man, I'll be sure to have a checklist!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i have dust under my current droid right now, my refurb unit. It doesn't bug me as much as i thought it would, but the broken AUX jack is bugging me. Might get this one replaced, pain in the butt to get it replaced though.

OP
jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
i have dust under my current droid right now, my refurb unit. It doesn't bug me as much as i thought it would, but the broken AUX jack is bugging me. Might get this one replaced, pain in the butt to get it replaced though.

So I'm guessing you talked to them on the phone and went the FedEx route? Did you ever try going into the store and exchanging?

ricks

Reaction score
Remember one thing, I have heard of some people getting brand new ones that come with the battery and cover from 611.