Request: Ability to do VZW SMS from computer

khelek

Reaction score
Hello all,

One of the (many) things I love about Google(tm) Voice is the ability to send text messages from my computer and its threaded conversations. If I could use GV for all my SMS needs, that would be perfect, but I try to be sensitive to the wallet of other Verizon customers and send text to them in network, betting that they have unlimited M2M texting. Realizing that Google Voice and VZW do their SMS differently (AFAIK, VZW texts actually go to the phone versus GV, which is stored on their servers), I understand why GV can do it and VZW can't. However, when playing around with KIK (great messaging app for folks who have friends who don't have unlimited text plans, don't have a Google Account, and who don't want to set up GV on their phone. Just throwing that out there :) ), I came across an app that *might* allow what I want, Droid Messenger - Android app on AppBrain . Is anyone familiar with this app? Does it allow you to have threaded SMS conversations from the comfort of your computer? I read some of the reviews and it didn't look great. Is anyone aware of a better app that will accomplish the same thing?

Thanks for any recommendations!

alm0614

Reaction score
+1, interested in this as well. I would love to be able to send texts from my desktop, without going through the horribly inconvenient vtext.com deal

OP
khelek

khelek

Reaction score

Thanks for the thought, Hook, but unfortunately not. I've used vtext.com (which is the short version of the link you posted) before, but the only thing it allows you to do is send SMS from your computer to a VZW customer. Also, I don't believe it will show you incoming messages.

I'm looking for something akin to voice.google.com, which essentially allows you to have threaded SMS conversations from your computer, as your phone number, to any other number (granted, primarily to VZW customers). The ability to see received messages is what I"m really hoping for.

I did try Droid Messenger, which I think is on the right track. There was some delay in getting the message out, but it wasn't too bad. I responded from my GV account and heard the familiar 'hiss' of the caffienated rattlesnake on my phone almost instantaneously. I still haven't gotten the returned message at the web site though :-/

Last edited:

barrettrking

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're stuck with vtext. I've been looking for something like this for years, since text message plans were limited to 50/100 a month.