Replacing Droid X LCD - Cannot remove screws

dakiato

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently trying to replace my X's LCD as its backlight blew from water damage. I have removed its Motherboard and top case but cannot seem to remove three of the screws holding the LCD to the digitizer. Ten of the screws were ordinary Torx T4 and I got them out, but three seem to be of some other type. They look like the T4 screws but without the star formation on them, just circular and my T4 screwdriver cannot get a grip.

Anyone have an idea on what these three could be? Can't seem to find it in any guide with these screws.

Thanks in advance!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I suggest getting out a camera, setting macro mode and taking a good non-blurry (hence macro mode) pic for us of the screwhead ...

Or register on this board in the link:

Droid X Completely Disassembled

And ask the OP what screws they are as he totally took his apart. From his instructions, he has not indicated whether or not there were screws involved in taking the LCd off the digitizer (not saying there are not any either, I just think he would have listed it if they were different)

OP
D

dakiato

Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not have a camera with macro mode so I did my best with mine. I've attached a picture of the T4 I could remove, and then two pictures of one of the ones I cannot.

Thank you for also pointing me to that thread, I will send him a message now.

Attachments

• IMG_20110416_155800.jpg
    IMG_20110416_155800.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_20110416_155807.jpg
    IMG_20110416_155807.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_20110416_160329.jpg
    IMG_20110416_160329.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 538

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not have a camera with macro mode so I did my best with mine. I've attached a picture of the T4 I could remove, and then two pictures of one of the ones I cannot.

Thank you for also pointing me to that thread, I will send him a message now.
Judging from those pictures, especially the last one, those screws do in fact look like T4 Torx heads...but they have been "stripped out"...meaning there is no "purchase" left to the actual screw head insert area.

Has someone taken this phone apart previously? If that is the case, they may have damaged the screw heads to the point of them being completely non-functioning.

Also, if these are stripped, about the only possible fix is to use a micro drill bit and drill a small hole in the center of the screw head..and then use a screw extractor to back the screws out. Or, you can use a left-handed drill bit that does basically the same thing, but all in one motion...it backs the screw out as it drills into the screw head. You can find both of these tools and accessories at your local Lowes, Home Depot or other hardware type store...

OP
D

dakiato

Reaction score
I gave drilling them a shot and that didn't work out very well, so I just used a dremel and lopped the heads off of the three screws. The bodies of the screws are still in there, but I have the LCD, top pane and digitizer free. Nothing a bit of a superglue wont solve anyways when I put it back together.

Has someone taken this phone apart previously? If that is the case, they may have damaged the screw heads to the point of them being completely non-functioning.
Surprisingly enough, no. As far as I can tell this was not opened by any old joe as it was still glued down and the black tape over the ribbon cables. It did have a sticker with the word Repair (On the PCB) and some other crap on it though. Probably sent to Moto before I bought it (Got it second hand) and they screwed up somehow.

Anyways, my phone is good as new now, and I thank you both for your help.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I gave drilling them a shot and that didn't work out very well, so I just used a dremel and lopped the heads off of the three screws. The bodies of the screws are still in there, but I have the LCD, top pane and digitizer free. Nothing a bit of a superglue wont solve anyways when I put it back together.

Surprisingly enough, no. As far as I can tell this was not opened by any old joe as it was still glued down and the black tape over the ribbon cables. It did have a sticker with the word Repair (On the PCB) and some other crap on it though. Probably sent to Moto before I bought it (Got it second hand) and they screwed up somehow.

Anyways, my phone is good as new now, and I thank you both for your help.
Cool...glad it worked out for ya...dancedroid

BTW, sounds like you got a Certified Like New Replacement phone...I wouldnt be surprised if someone didnt have it apart in order to "re-certify" it...:)