HELP Removing 2.5mm screw holding LCD compartment

h_zee13

Reaction score
I have to change the LCD screen of my Droid because the backlight has burned due to water damage.

I removed all the screws except for the screws holding the LCD compartment.

I'm using a 2.5 mm phillips screwdriver just like the install guide says but it's like if the screws were glued in there.

Anyone know of another way of getting them out of there?
And if I damaged the screws, where can I buy the same type of screws?

Thanks in advance

Chris-pee

Reaction score
Maybe try a screw driver with a longer handle? Might give you more leverage.

Superjay

Reaction score
they are glued in there. Go to your local hobby shop, get something referred to as "unglue"... not kidding here. This will turn the glue back to liquid. It is used to remove the bond of CA (cyanoacrylate) glues like superglue and krazy glue. Use VERY little of it, and apply with a toothpick, so as not to get it all over the boards. Wait about 30 seconds and then unscrew. you'll still need to lean into it a bit, but this should release the bond of the threadlock

OP
H

h_zee13

Reaction score
Thanks for tips guys....I will try to buy the unglue thingy

spencettu

Reaction score
You need to use a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdriver. These are also known as "cross-point" screwdriver. You can try grinding the tip of a phillips because JIS are very hard to find. If you already stripped the screws get the JIS screwdriver in the head of the screw and hit it with some force with a rubber mallet or something similar and apply a lot of force while turning.

edng

Reaction score
spencettu, you saved me! I registered here just to say thank you. I was replacing the front glass on my droid and ran into problem with the screws. The #0 philips screwdriver was stripping the screws left and right. I tried your suggestion to file down the screwdriver and wow, it worked like a charm. Thank you!!