Remote wipe?

holmes

Reaction score
Wasn't Froyo going to support a "Remote Wipe" feature?
If it does, how would one activate such a drastic measure if by chance their phone was lost/ stolen?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
id look into wave secure for that..

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
i *think* what the op is referring to was actually touted as a new 2.2 feature in the verizon brochure... and it appears it's meant for exchange/corporate accounts only, not a fully integrated feature of the OS (like wavesecure, for example) - i was looking forward to this as well...

the mobile recovery service is for TEC subscribers only at this point... though that does cover a lot of users! :)

Last edited:
OP
holmes

holmes

Reaction score
Didn't notice Verizons latest announcement or the ongoing thread you linked to so thanx.
I am interested in something like the "WaveSecure" app... anyone know the monthly or real cost of that full feature app? Looks gr8 but I'm sure its semi-costly.
thanx for the replies.

ndhill1976

Reaction score
i *think* what the op is referring to was actually touted as a new 2.2 feature in the verizon brochure... and it appears it's meant for exchange/corporate accounts only, not a fully integrated feature of the OS (like wavesecure, for example) - i was looking forward to this as well...

the mobile recovery service is for TEC subscribers only at this point... though that does cover a lot of users! :)

Yep, I noticed that after 2.2 I had to agree to let my company have access to remote wipe when I set up exchange e-mail. It also made me set a lock screen on my phone.

I said "screw that", and just used touchdown.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been using Mobil Defense for some time now. However it's in beta and they are just taking sign up names at this time.

I had Wave Secure but Mobil Defense was better. How it was better, I don't remember but I do know that's why I made the change.

Maybe because Mobil Defense is free and Wave Secure cost money.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I also use Mobile Defense---it has pinpoint accuracy on device location, although I haven't tried the device wipe--

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
hook i know you said you can't remember the difference, but tparker, have you used wavesecure? i've been on wavesecure for awhile and never used mobile defense, but have always been curious...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The benefits of mobile defense are if you put it in as a system app you can activate your GPS via the website and track your device

So I have tried it from my house a few times and with the GPS off I log into the Mobile Defense site on my computer click the "track device" link it sends my phone a text which activates my GPS and then I see my location on the map on my computer...and it is very accurate

I am not sure if wave secure does this or not

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah Wavesecure does that as well. I need to test it out in another location besides my office because it tends to be a little inaccurate and take forever whenever I locate it while at work. Like, just now I tested it, and it took about 3 or 4 minutes to finish, and it was still about 1000 yards south of where I am.

I bet they're both pretty similar now... though one thing I like about Wavesecure is it has a handful of remote text commands... so if I lose it, I can hop on a friend's phone, or even on google voice, and send the following:

• Lock: To lock your phone, send “Secure lock ”. Eg. “Secure lock 123456”
  • Customize lock screen: To change your lock screen message, send “Secure lock ”. Eg. “Secure lock 123456 Please contact 911 to return”.
  • Sound alarm: To lock your phone, send “Secure lock alarm ” or with a custom message “Secure lock alarm”. Eg. “Secure lock alarm 123456”
  • Locate: Send “Secure locate ” for a SMS with a link to track the current location of the phone. Eg. “Secure locate 123456”
  • Wipe: To erase the phone’s data, send “Secure wipe”. Eg. “Secure wipe 123456”
Again, that's only if you root and make it a system app, I believe. Edit: I'm saying that without really looking that up, so I could be wrong about needing to be rooted for that...

maxnicks

Reaction score
checkout droidsecurity.com.

The app i got from them allows you to change your screen message, lock your phone, wipe the data, mark your phone as lost, disable roaming, find your phone and even disable your choice of applications. When you load it to your phone, it hides itself. reason being a thief could not then disable the application. There's also an extension for google chrome.

I originally signed up for their beta service which i'm still using. I did purchase their antivirus pro which i eventually replaced with Lookout.

Even after discontinuing use of their anti-virus pro, the locate, wipe, etc software is still working on my phone.

JLB09

Reaction score
The benefits of mobile defense are if you put it in as a system app you can activate your GPS via the website and track your device

So I have tried it from my house a few times and with the GPS off I log into the Mobile Defense site on my computer click the "track device" link it sends my phone a text which activates my GPS and then I see my location on the map on my computer...and it is very accurate

I am not sure if wave secure does this or not

why can I not find Mobile Defense in the market place? does it go by some other name?

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check their website and see if it is available