[Released] New app rewards you for NOT using your phone while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriveAliveApp

Reaction score
Introducing the Drive Alive App.

Drive Alive is a new incentive program designed to reward drivers who DO NOT use their cell phone while driving. Drivers are asked to run the app prior to driving, take a phone free trip, and close the app upon arrival in order to prove that they are indeed a phone free driver. Drivers who use Drive Alive to submit phone free trips are sent rewards. The rewards act as the incentive to pay more attention to the road and less to their cell phone while driving. It's our hope that this type of incentive program will get drivers to think twice every time a phone call, text, Facebook notification, or other event chimes in on the users phone while they are driving, and ask themselves, "Is it really worth it to answer this right now, or can it wait"? Users have the chance to earn between $1.00 and $4.00 cash (Delivered Directly to their PayPal accounts), various gift-cards, and more per phone free trip. We also have plans to bring insurance companies on board with offering a discount for using the app consistently in the near future as our main reward.

We feel that practice of getting users to consciously think about their choice to pick up the phone or not when a notification comes in is absolutely vital in order to help prevent these types of accidents. In 2009, 985 people died as a result of phone use while driving, and in 2011, 3092 people died. During that time period, 28 new laws were passed banning phone use in various was. While we applaud these efforts, we feel their fatal flaw is that 16-24 year olds (the major offenders of phone use while driving) do not pay attention to these laws do not get in their car the next day after a law passed and say to themselves, "Oh I better not text now". The reason we feel like this is true is that the majority of drivers in that age grouping won't know about the new law, or are too young and naive and think they will not get caught, and as a result, when a text comes in they just answer it without a second thought, just as they would while they were not driving, because answering a text is second nature to them. By offering different types of desirable rewards, we reinforce thinking twice and choosing to refrain from answering the text until it's safe to do so. We hope that the Drive Alive incentive program can supplement these efforts and make a massive difference in the amount of people on the roadways getting into phone related accidents.

Please checkout our website, Drive Alive App for more information. We hope that you like the concept of the app and will help spread the word. Keep in mind that Drive Alive is a purely monitoring system, and should you give into temptation and decide to use your phone, Drive Alive will not stop you from doing so in anyway, so there is no risk in downloading and trying it out.

Here is the download link in case you want to get started right away. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drivealive.demo#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiY29tLmRyaXZlYWxpdmUuZGVtbyJd

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions please feel free to send them to [email protected] or reply here.

Last edited:

AngryHatter

Reaction score
So what incentive does someone that DOES phone while driving have for using this?
Can you detect if they are using the speakerphone, or earbuds?

I am all for people getting off the phone while driving.
I ride a bike, my phone is inaccessible when I ride.
But I don't see why anyone would participate.
No EZPass here. Donated items? What does that mean?

I pay $380 a year for full coverage including tow. How much will this save me?

OP
D

DriveAliveApp

Reaction score
You can earn cash, delivered to your PayPal account, gift-cards, and more, please checkout our site for more information.

We do not know how much of an insurance discount you will receive, but we will let you know as soon as we get insurance companies on board.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hate to sound like the spoiler but unless I am missing singing this app, while good in theory, will not provide any realistic use.

How could it possibly know that I am driving? Do I turn out on our would it just always monitor use? If it always monitored use, sure it will detect movement by gps or whatever but it doesn't know if I am the passenger or driver. If I have to click something to tell it I am driving, this will be easily manipulated. Example...I install on my phone, tell it I am driving, then use my second phone or my wife's phone to text and drive, talk on the phone, etc.

Bottom line, it is impossible for this to absolutely know the person it's driving safe or not and will not give an accurate report for insurance purposes.

Edit: Guess I should have looked at the website first to see how it works but my second point stands. So, I just install this on my wife's phone, activate it every time I drive, use my phone while driving recklessly and get discounts and free money? This is too easy to "trick" so I just can't see it being a big tool for insurance companies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
D

DriveAliveApp

Reaction score
I hate to sound like the spoiler but unless I am missing singing this app, while good in theory, will not provide any realistic use.

How could it possibly know that I am driving? Do I turn out on our would it just always monitor use? If it always monitored use, sure it will detect movement by gps or whatever but it doesn't know if I am the passenger or driver. If I have to click something to tell it I am driving, this will be easily manipulated. Example...I install on my phone, tell it I am driving, then use my second phone or my wife's phone to text and drive, talk on the phone, etc.

Bottom line, it is impossible for this to absolutely know the person it's driving safe or not and will not give an accurate report for insurance purposes.

Edit: Guess I should have looked at the website first to see how it works but my second point stands. So, I just install this on my wife's phone, activate it every time I drive, use my phone while driving recklessly and get discounts and free money? This is too easy to "trick" so I just can't see it being a big tool for insurance companies.

Hi,

Thanks for voicing your concerns, however we have already considered these downfalls. You are correct, there is no way we can determine with any certainty that users are actually driving or simply a passenger, however there are multiple studies that prove that drivers using Smartphones are also distracting to the driver, and because of that in the rare chance that a passenger has the self control to not use their phone during a trip will also be rewarded. Although it won't give 100% accurate data, the costs of these types of accidents are huge, and the benefit of this type of program will be substantial enough to ignore a few people who may abuse the system in the way you described.

Harvard researchers estimated the cost of cell phone related accidents at $43 Billion dollars per year. Car insurance companies are responsible for 50% of that cost, and by supporting an incentive system such as this, they will save a massive amount of money, and perhaps sending rewards to a few passengers who do not really deserve it will be a necessary sacrifice in the grand scheme of what this could potentially accomplish as far as how much money it can save them, and how many lives it could save.

Edit: Does anyone know how to change the thread title to [h=2][Released] New app rewards you for NOT using your phone while driving. ?[/h]If it's not possible and mod looks at this, could you please change it? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Having statistics is fine for showing how expensive the problem is but in the end we cannot assume this will save insurance companies anything. What this will do is provide discounts or incentives for those that are already safe but will not curtail those that cause accidents. In the end insurance companies will actually pay more because accidents will not decrease and they will surely drop themselves from participation in programs like this.

Your response is a great sales pitch but lacks any substance or reason. In my example, I put the app on my wife's phone while I use my phone and drive to my hearts content and you respond by saying that my passenger not using her phone (even though I am) is somehow safer?

I smell gimmick/ money making scheme.

Last edited:
OP
D

DriveAliveApp

Reaction score
Having statistics is fine for showing how expensive the problem is but in the end we cannot assume this will save insurance companies anything. What this will do is provide discounts or incentives for those that are already safe but will not curtail those that cause accidents. In the end insurance companies will actually pay more because accidents will not decrease and they will surely drop themselves from participation in programs like this.

Your response is a great sales pitch but lacks any substance or reason. In my example, I put the app on my wife's phone while I use my phone and drive to my hearts content and you respond by saying that my passenger not using her phone (even though I am) is somehow safer?

I smell gimmick/ money making scheme.

It's your posts that show no substance. How do you know that everyone who uses this app will be people who already drive safe 100% of the time? The data we have collected from our 321 active users shows different results, and we have had many reviews saying that Drive Alive has helped them resist the urge to pick up the phone while driving, as we as personal communications from users saying the same.

The situation with your wife's phone makes no sense. Who has a wife that would allow them to use their phone while they are driving all the time? Surely the car insurance companies will require you use it a certain amount per month in order to receive the discount, which would mean you'd have to use her phone all the time every month in order to qualify, which is highly unlikely. Even if it turned out that the situation were true, it would be extremely rare.

Is it so far fetched to assume that people who see others getting cool rewards will not want to drive safe in order to receive the same benefits? We have other plans than just the car insurance companies for rewards as well. As far as being a gimmick / money making scheme, you are free to think what you want, but I assure you that's not what we are about, you can see how much we have already given out in rewards on our leader board page on the website, we are providing full transparency. The website is a little behind on displaying the rewards, but that is because we are busy with the imminent release of our iOS version of the app, and eventually that will be fully automated and updated in real time.

Reaction score
It's your posts that show no substance. How do you know that everyone who uses this app will be people who already drive safe 100% of the time? The data we have collected from our 321 active users shows different results, and we have had many reviews saying that Drive Alive has helped them resist the urge to pick up the phone while driving, as we as personal communications from users saying the same.

The situation with your wife's phone makes no sense. Who has a wife that would allow them to use their phone while they are driving all the time? Surely the car insurance companies will require you use it a certain amount per month in order to receive the discount, which would mean you'd have to use her phone all the time every month in order to qualify, which is highly unlikely. Even if it turned out that the situation were true, it would be extremely rare.

Is it so far fetched to assume that people who see others getting cool rewards will not want to drive safe in order to receive the same benefits? We have other plans than just the car insurance companies for rewards as well. As far as being a gimmick / money making scheme, you are free to think what you want, but I assure you that's not what we are about, you can see how much we have already given out in rewards on our leader board page on the website, we are providing full transparency. The website is a little behind on displaying the rewards, but that is because we are busy with the imminent release of our iOS version of the app, and eventually that will be fully automated and updated in real time.

Never said I would have my wife's phone with me all the time but considering we make long road trips as a family every weekend my scenario does make sense.

But since you struggle to comprehend basic concepts, how about this. I have two droids, one personal, one business. I put the app on one and use the other. How are you going to try to refute that? You can't.

Yes, it is far fetched to think people will try really hard to not use their phones just so they can get a few bucks. Speeding is and always be a problem, and yet the threat of having to pay over $200 if they get pulled over is not enough to get people to slow down. By apparently greeting $3 for a trip is a big deal.

Statistics and data only go so far. Human behavior and convenience go much further to tell the story.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice thread resurrection :)

And nice response time on a year old thread!

OP
D

DriveAliveApp

Reaction score
Never said I would have my wife's phone with me all the time but considering we make long road trips as a family every weekend my scenario does make sense.

But since you struggle to comprehend basic concepts, how about this. I have two droids, one personal, one business. I put the app on one and use the other. How are you going to try to refute that? You can't.

Yes, it is far fetched to think people will try really hard to not use their phones just so they can get a few bucks. Speeding is and always be a problem, and yet the threat of having to pay over $200 if they get pulled over is not enough to get people to slow down. By apparently greeting $3 for a trip is a big deal.

Statistics and data only go so far. Human behavior and convenience go much further to tell the story.

Why would you use your phone with your family in the car when she could just use it for you to reply to texts or answer calls? That makes no sense. You would likely have her answer for you, and thus would be driving safely and deserve rewards.

As far as having a business phone and a regular phone, there is nothing we can do you are right, but unless your company pays for your phone you are going to lose out on money, because the cost of the second phone outweighs the amount of rewards you will earn. If the company does pay for it, it's something we cannot refute, you are correct, however that will be a very small amount of people who use both phones to get rewards when they really shouldn't, and definitely not enough to justify not creating such a system that could potentially save lives.

I do understand human behavior, and people only choose to speed or do other illegal things while driving because they are naive and do not think they will get caught, if it were a certainty that they would get caught, no one would speed. This is a different approach, this gives people a chance to earn more than they had when they left the house just by driving safe, it's not comparable to the threat of losing $200.00 that might not happen. Also, that money adds up, and once we find more sponsors for rewards, it might be more than $3.00 someone is getting.

In any case, I don't have time for your pessimistic comments anymore and this will be your last post I respond to, I made this thread to look forward to people's thoughts on the app, but I have obviously already heard your opinion on it.

Reaction score
So you post a thread wanting opinions but since I (and several others I have mentioned it to agree) don't think it will work, you chose to argue with me. Not good business practice.

My point in bringing up those facts is you obviously do not have insurance companies on board yet and I am sure they will think of exactly what I am bringing up. They have people who analyze things like this to see if they are financially beneficial and I doubt they will see any benefit in this app for them.

You don't have time for my pessimistic views? Well if that is your stance it is sure to fail. Ask any successful business and they will agree that you have to consider the negative opinions of consumers in order to improve.

As for my wife, she does not answer my phone and I do not answer hers. And yes, we both, along with millions of others, use our phones when we drive.

Obviously, no-one would buy a second phone to circumvent the program, my point is that it is too easy to fraud and major companies will recognize that.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Nice thread resurrection :)

And nice response time on a year old thread!

Yeah, almost a year to the day...missed it by 2. Wonder how that happened? Possible forum glitch?

Last edited:

Diordna

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
Yeah, almost a year to the day...missed it by 2. Wonder how that happened? Possible forum glitch?

No, search bar had to of brought it up with whatever he was trying to search for lol I assume

Reaction score
Didn't search anything, and didn't notice it was a year old. Lol. It showed up in my list of recent unread for some reason.

As a matter of fact now that you guys point out this thread is a year-old that just proves my point . This thing has been going on for a year and they have hardly any people talking about it . And the drive alive insist that insurance companies may or will treat it a certain way as in they don't know. If this app is been around that long or they started a year ago and haven't got a single insurance company to jump on board , then obviously I know little bit about what I'm talking about and OP is just upset and frustrated that his work is not getting success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.