Release Date On Gingerbread???

OP
DoubleTapp89

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score

rushmore

Reaction score

Well at least they said something and we have a ballpark timeframe...instead of just blowing us off until we randomly see the "updates available" notification.

What's this "Ballpark timeframe?" Like sometime in July or something?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

If the info is true and Moto is setting up teams now, it would be about eight weeks before we can expect a release.

1. Teams have to be set-up
2. Roadmaps created
3. Bugs and tasks defined
4. Revise the code
5. Test in house
6. Rinse and repeat from item 3.
7. Once cleared by QA, a version (for each device) sent to VZW
8. If good, add two weeks to set up and publish- If bad, go BACK to item 3 again.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
God I hope the info IS true. I'd rather have a rough idea instead of no idea, even if that does mean 2 more BS months.

Tboy72

Reaction score
I'm still on the fence about GB. I already froze all the updater files on my X2 so an OTA wont push (unless its a bootloader unlock lol) because GB feels slow and looks kinda fugly to me. I mean this is a DROID. Its always been presented as a badass black and red device on commercials. And having this light airy theme with blue just doesn't fit with the device IMO.
While I agree, it seems the cosmetics of GB are already there. I use Launcher Pro anyways, so the look and feel won't change a bit. However, I also have my updater frozen. I want to see the changelog and hear user reviews before any updating takes place. If it is receiving praise, then I will surely update.

I rooted my x2 as well, froze the bloat, but I want to make sure I wont get the update automatically. How exactly do I freeze my updater. I used titanium backup pro to freeze the other bloat. Can I use that to freeze my updater? dancedroid

Tboy72

Reaction score
I'm still on the fence about GB. I already froze all the updater files on my X2 so an OTA wont push (unless its a bootloader unlock lol) because GB feels slow and looks kinda fugly to me. I mean this is a DROID. Its always been presented as a badass black and red device on commercials. And having this light airy theme with blue just doesn't fit with the device IMO.
While I agree, it seems the cosmetics of GB are already there. I use Launcher Pro anyways, so the look and feel won't change a bit. However, I also have my updater frozen. I want to see the changelog and hear user reviews before any updating takes place. If it is receiving praise, then I will surely update.

I rooted my x2 as well, froze the bloat, but I want to make sure I wont get the update automatically. How exactly do I freeze my updater. I used titanium backup pro to freeze the other bloat. Can I use that to freeze my updater? dancedroid

I see in titanium backup there is an updater 2.2.2 and upgrade 1.0.0. Should I have either one of them frozen so I wont automatically get the OTA gingerbread update if it ever comes?

rushmore

Reaction score
God I hope the info IS true. I'd rather have a rough idea instead of no idea, even if that does mean 2 more BS months.

If you follow the steps of rooting and taming the performance issues, the X2 is not that bad for a two month wait. Out of box though, the DX2 is weak.

Seems two months is a reasonable guess- all things considered- assuming the issues get fixed.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force

If you follow the steps of rooting and taming the performance issues, the X2 is not that bad for a two month wait. Out of box though, the DX2 is weak.

Seems two months is a reasonable guess- all things considered- assuming the issues get fixed.

You're right, not disagreeing with that, but if you haven't seen any of my multiple postings over the past month talking about my experience rooting the x2 then....well, they're there. And I talk about how much faster it is. I've also mentioned several times that my main problem is the ****ty media services. 720p recording is a joke and it's near impossible for me to listen to music on my phone now. I can't stand the constant pops and/or the constant just stopping playing. If you're someone who uses music on their phone way more than anything else, as I am, then THAT'S what makes me dislike this phone. When/if this is fixed I can easily keep this phone for another year or two.

It should also come with a warning on the box that says " WARNING: THIS COULD POTENTIALLY BE A GOOD PHONE IF YOU'RE WILLING TO DO A BUNCH OF CRAP TO IT, THOUGH ALL OF THAT WILL STILL LEAVE IT WITH A FEW ISSUES. BUT SERIOUSLY OVERALL IT'S A GOOD PHONE."

rushmore

Reaction score

You're right, not disagreeing with that, but if you haven't seen any of my multiple postings over the past month talking about my experience rooting the x2 then....well, they're there. And I talk about how much faster it is. I've also mentioned several times that my main problem is the ****ty media services. 720p recording is a joke and it's near impossible for me to listen to music on my phone now. I can't stand the constant pops and/or the constant just stopping playing. If you're someone who uses music on their phone way more than anything else, as I am, then THAT'S what makes me dislike this phone. When/if this is fixed I can easily keep this phone for another year or two.

It should also come with a warning on the box that says " WARNING: THIS COULD POTENTIALLY BE A GOOD PHONE IF YOU'RE WILLING TO DO A BUNCH OF CRAP TO IT, THOUGH ALL OF THAT WILL STILL LEAVE IT WITH A FEW ISSUES. BUT SERIOUSLY OVERALL IT'S A GOOD PHONE."

I returned mine due mainly to audio pops and random reboots, so appreciate the issues. Just saying for folks that are too late to return the device, the fixes when rooted tame the issues (except the pops and random reboots) until custom roms, or a solid update are released.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I am tired of the "all you have to do is." A phone should be functional out of the box and the x2 isn't. A user shouldn't have to void his warranty to get a phone that works.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

p1ngputts

Reaction score
I am tired of the "all you have to do is." A phone should be functional out of the box and the x2 isn't. A user shouldn't have to void his warranty to get a phone that works.

My phone is functional and it works...

kingsway8605

Reaction score
And btw... I use amazon mp3, pandora and slacker about 8 hrs a day.

Great for you. But I owned the x2 and it was not functional for me. Reboots, lag, freezing, music skipping, etc. From reading users reviews, the majority of people with this phone are having the same problem.

PS if you did anything to your phone involving root access to improve performance, then you completely missed the point of my post.

rushmore

Reaction score

Great for you. But I owned the x2 and it was not functional for me. Reboots, lag, freezing, music skipping, etc. From reading users reviews, the majority of people with this phone are having the same problem.

PS if you did anything to your phone involving root access to improve performance, then you completely missed the point of my post.

Same issues here, but good for the people that report no issues, especially since it appears there is little to no effort by Moto in fixing the issues many report. It is not just these forums. Customers and sales people at local VZW and Best Buy also see the issues. Heck, the VZW demo units random reboot, have the audio pops and they are stock devices.

myriad46

Reaction score

Same issues here, but good for the people that report no issues, especially since it appears there is little to no effort by Moto in fixing the issues many report. It is inot just these forums. Customers and sales people at local VZW and Best Buy also see the issues. Heck, the VZW demo units random reboot, have the audio pops and they are stock devices.

As much as these issues do suck, I don't think its fair to say there is little to no effort being spent to fix them. We know a software update is coming. You could say they released the phone sooner than they should have. But it s hard to test these phones on the scale that a release has. Also, though I think it could be faster, software updates take time unless you want even more issues.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force

Same issues here, but good for the people that report no issues, especially since it appears there is little to no effort by Moto in fixing the issues many report. It is inot just these forums. Customers and sales people at local VZW and Best Buy also see the issues. Heck, the VZW demo units random reboot, have the audio pops and they are stock devices.

As much as these issues do suck, I don't think its fair to say there is little to no effort being spent to fix them. We know a software update is coming. You could say they released the phone sooner than they should have. But it s hard to test these phones on the scale that a release has. Also, though I think it could be faster, software updates take time unless you want even more issues.

Well actually we don't "know" one is coming. We have broad speculation from an unofficial source. And the people at VZ AND MOTO are completely clueless. Yes, even "level 2 tech support." So I think it's a completely fair statement. If they can't come forth and say "we know this **** is happening, we're working on it," then I will remain dissatisfied.