Refurbished Note 7 for sale.... (rumor has it)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
google-play-edition-compare-625x352.jpg

I read a report that Samsung could consider selling the refurbished Note 7s some time early next year. Of course after all the controversy you would think Samsung would just give it up. But here are my thoughts to Samsung if I had their attention.

This is how they could actually sell the Note 7 and empty the shelves despite the phone still not being allowed on airplanes.

• Sell it as a Google Experience Edition: We been asking for one since the Google Experience Edition S4. If Samsung was to give the fans what they want which is a Note 7 that gets updates around the same time period as the Nexus/Pixel phones, clean out of the box with the option to add Samsung bloatware, as well as being unlocked (Sim and bootloader), they will have an instant winner.
  • Call it something else. May look like a Note, function like a Note, but don't call it a Note. There are still federal regulations preventing the Note 7 from being allowed on planes so let's avoid getting people jailed.
  • The obvious is to actually have a fix for the "fire bomb" because if they put it out again and it goes boom again then so will their reputation.

So what would your advice be for Samsung on this matter?

Source: Samsung might start selling refurbished Galaxy Note 7's that didn't blow up

Reaction score
My advice would be, rethink this! It's unethical to do if the original problem is not found and reported! Plus it will anger Samsung fans who gave up those Notes!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Personally all the people that had them and loved them only to abandon them because of this recall and then Samsung says they are scrapping the Note 7 would create more backlash. All those Note 7 Owners jumped to other phones. Many with contracts will feel even more burn if they do this. It seems they are just trying to get some of that 30 billion in losses back any way they can.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I don't know how previous owners might feel. The ones that decided to keep them would be probably thrilled if they continued to keep getting updates. And would also probably feel that they have been vindicated that they decided to keep an awesome phone that was probably safe all along. Those that traded them in might feel angry but I bet their anger would be placed on the people that created what was, most likely, never a fire hazard due to their hoax and not on Samsung. (I'll wait for the backlash on that opinion). I guess we can wait for those that owned the N7 to voice their opinions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
My wife is happy to have found a workaround that prevents Samsung or our carrier from pushing an OTA update to it that will render the phone useless. Her device runs great and remains cool, even while multitasking or listening to an audio book or YouTube while it's plugged in....no issues whatsoever.
IMO, Samsung buckled to the media and prematurely decided to recall the replacement Note 7s before they were actually able to replicate the problem. I say, sticking with the same exact name shows confidence and that they stand behind their product.... and that my friends, is exactly what they need right now.

S5 tap'n

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I loved the Note 7, but this would be BS if not offered at a HUGE discount to Note 7 owners that reluctantly sent them back.
The only real reason I finally sent mine back was lack of updates and value being lost.
This story is along the lines of being told you're fired from a job you love, only to get a call back the next day that you can have your job back at a lesser rate...

Sent by my new S7-Edge

Reactions: cr6

Beardface

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole after this whole debacle. They thought they had a fix. They were wrong. They thought it only impacted a certain subset of devices. They were wrong. They issued a full recall, completely taking them out of the marketplace because they resigned to the fact they couldn't fix them.

And now they want to sell refurbished ones?

Nah.... pass... HARD pass

And this is coming from a guy who currently owns a Note 4, is preordering the Gear S3 Frontier, and will likely pull the trigger on a Chromebook Pro once it is released.

thc1967

Reaction score
As a Note 7 owner who's extremely pissed off about having to give it back (because I don't think it's a real problem), I think Samsung should:

1) Dump the phone. Forget trying to recover anything. The damage is done. Let it go.

2) Fix whatever QA process let the fraction of a fraction of a percent of bad batteries get through so that it never happens again to any of your devices.

3) Release a "Note 8" (with different branding) as quickly after #2 as possible.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole after this whole debacle. They thought they had a fix. They were wrong. They thought it only impacted a certain subset of devices. They were wrong. They issued a full recall, completely taking them out of the marketplace because they resigned to the fact they couldn't fix them.

And now they want to sell refurbished ones?

Nah.... pass... HARD pass

And this is coming from a guy who currently owns a Note 4, is preordering the Gear S3 Frontier, and will likely pull the trigger on a Chromebook Pro once it is released.
Sorry, but you can hardly compare a Note 4 with a Note 7. That's kind of laughable actually.
Yours is a classic case of never having the Note 7 and believing everything you've heard in the media. And that's fine if you choose to go that route, nobody is faulting you for having an opinion . Those of us that know better choose to take the other route. Samsung wouldn't be taking such a huge risk trying to resell these devices if they didn't feel they were completely safe....that's suicide.
Of course you're still going to hear about bogus fires from the anti Samsung crowd, that's a given...

S5 tap'n

RyanPm40

Reaction score
What a horrible idea. At least figure out the cause of the issue first.

Beardface

Reaction score
Sorry, but you can hardly compare a Note 4 with a Note 7. That's kind of laughable actually.
Yours is a classic case of never having the Note 7 and believing everything you've heard in the media. And that's fine if you choose to go that route, nobody is faulting you for having an opinion . Those of us that know better choose to take the other route. Samsung wouldn't be taking such a huge risk trying to resell these devices if they didn't feel they were completely safe....that's suicide.
Of course you're still going to hear about bogus fires from the anti Samsung crowd, that's a given...

S5 tap'n
And yours is a classic case of growing a personal attachment creating a biased connection to the device, being unable to legitimately see the faults in a failed project.

And for the record I was never comparing the Note 4 to the Note 7, I was just displaying that I don't have any animosity towards Samsung in the slightest. That being said, the Note 7 brand should remain dead. Its a failed device and any attempt to reintroduce it to the market would just not go well in the public's eye. They'd be better off just focusing on the S8 and whatever comes after the Note 7.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
From everything I have read there are still a significant number of least the 'new' note 7s in the wild. Last I heard was over a million. I still think the bad 'new' note 7s were a hoax. Why? Because I loved it? Yes. Also because as soon as they did the total recall the fires stopped. Suspicious? Yes.

Last edited:

thc1967

Reaction score
Last I heard was there were about 15% of the original inventory remaining out in peoples' hands. I still have one.

I talked to a gentleman at my favorite T-Mo store over the weekend and they told me that the phone would no longer be covered by support/warranty after 15 December. There's your deadline, if you care about such things.

I'm still on the fence. Definitely need to get an iPhone 7 Plus for the wife, but do I really want to "slum" in her Note 3 until the "Note 8" or whatever they brand it as comes out? Or can I fade the about $60 it would cost me to go to an S7 Edge now and switch later?

Thing is, that $60 assumes the new stylus phone comes out toward September of next year. If it's earlier, it's more $. $60 is nothing, but earlier and more could be something. If I knew the date with anything resembling certainty, the decision would be easier.

boidsonly

Reaction score
PGE on the Note 7? Def something I would be very interested in. It's sad the RAM, storage and performance are killed by Samsung's Touch UI.