Reception numbers...how important?

chevihemi

Reaction score
So I keep going back and forth between the Rezound and nexus. I've had both and can swap again in the next week or so.

My question is how much db (3g mode on both) is significant. Sitting on my couch I get -53 to -61db with the Rezound and a very constant -83db with the nexus. Both phones operated great with no data drop or calls dropped.

What I am concerned about is when I get into areas with poorer reception hoe much different well the bee in making or not making a call.

Thanks a million!

p.s. I loved the function and form of the nexus but reception has me concerned in lower reception areas.

Rooted, ROM'd, and Rezounded

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just to keep you informed, your Rezound is showing the 3G signal dBm, the Nexus is showing the 4G signal dBm.

Hence, the 4G will always be higher until the infrastructure is more widespread and stable. -83dBm on 4G is fairly good, as I find -73 to be the best I've seen with full signal.

OP
chevihemi

chevihemi

Reaction score
It shows 4g signal even when locked into cdma only mode and there is zero 4g coverage for at least 50 miles? I was doing everything I could to make the comparison fair.

Thanks!

OP
chevihemi

chevihemi

Reaction score
So if the two phones are calculating signal differently, how or what can I do to compare the signals as "apples to apples"?

thanks much!

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No they are not calculating the 3g signal differently. The Nexus with ICS is the only Verizon device that will properly report both a 3g and 4G signal. All other 4G devices, when in the phone status, are reporting 3g signal. So if you have the Rezound and the Nexus both set to network type CDMA Only they will both be reporting 3g signal.

If you set the Rezound to 4G LTE how ever it will still be reporting the 3g signal. As Gingerbread is not able to tell the difference between the 3g and LTE radios.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
chevihemi

chevihemi

Reaction score
So is 20db a huge deal or not really in the grand scheme of things?