Reasons why you lose Mobile Data signal....is its REALLY your phone? Likely NOT.

pabowhunter

Reaction score
Rdgxray: I understand... But like I said I have both and they both drop data I can't recall dropping calls on either one. And the razr has slightly better actual signal but nothing major.. I can't say I like one over the other because I enjoy them both for separate reasons. At least that is what I have experienced in my area of NE Pennsylvania but It may different elsewhere.. I hope updates fix data connection for both of these great phones... At least in my area. Enjoy you razr. I know I am.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I pay no attention to bars...nexus dropped data constantly...while streaming music driving...it would drop all over...bionic and razr never drop...I have not done any scientific tests but razr and bionic get a steady flow of data with no drops...nexus has uneven flow with constant drops in my experience ...hopefully next ota update fixes this for nexus and everyone is happy...bionic had similar problems when I 1st got it but never became unusable ...recent ota made it rock solid....use my phone's data for business and can't have an uneven or loss of data for extended period

I understand your points, but the fact remains that there are many Nexus owners who have no issues at all with data drops/phone reception. This means the phone is ruled out for being the issue.

For the phone to be the culprit for the problems being seen, all the Nexus owners would have to have the same problems or it would have to be a quality control problem(which is unlikely).

Since this has not been the case, the phone is ruled out as the culprit, leaving the network as the most likely cause for those having issues.

What's most likely happening is the authentication servers/hardware are simply different in the areas around the US, causing the authentication error to drop data in some areas, while others remain free of the problem. Since we've seen data drops with all 4G phones(check every forum, you will see the problem with every 4G phone available, with the Bionic being the most visible), which result in 3G data dropping as well, this gives us even more evidence that it is the network authentication error causing the problem.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Not exactly...since we all dont live, work, hang out in the exact same areas...it might be worse in some cases for certain phones. For example...folks with the iPhone 4 and the antenna issue didnt really see it unless in a bad reception area.

Some manufactures are just better at things than others. Always has been that way, always will be that way. It is what it is.

After using 3 recent LTE phones recently....I agree they all can have data issues. Like what was mentioned in the article and what I have personally experienced:

The severity of the problem can depend on your device. Some devices are more likely to re-attempt authentication immediately, and ten or fifteen seconds later, you're good to go. Some won't - and have to be forced to re-authenticate by switching in and out of airplane mode. Some won't even respond to that, and have to be powered on and off. Our speculation in regards to the varying severity is that it more than likely depends on how aggressive the phone's battery conservation software is. If a device loses connection, it may think it's in a "fringe" coverage zone and stop attempting to reconnect to the network to avoid wasting battery. It could also be that the device's software is just poorly written to deal with such regular failed attempts to get network authentication.

Thats from the article this thread is about...and they state that their speculation depends on battery conservation software or poorly written software. My RAZR and Rezound ...RAZR it was either wait it out or toggle. My Rezound has been wait it out or reboot. G Nex I had it was wait it out or toggle. Only difference was my RAZR recovered faster or better than the other 2. My Rezound needing to be rebooted at times cuz its stuck in 1X when in a bad reception area is annoying. At this point...I dont know which one is more annoying, the G Nex or Rezound. I would rate my RAZR data experience as the least annoying. Especially after the updates for it. And between all 3 the RAZR and Rezound were able to get 4G on my floor at work. My G Nex didnt really have a data problem...it just wasnt as good as the other 2 in weak, bad reception areas. I dont really see that as a defect...I just see it as... it is what it is. A con on the pro/con list for these devices. I tried the 4.0.3 radios and all it did was make 3G better for me. And I see another update is available for the G Nex, with radio updates, so thats good.

But they all were/are annoying for data reception. Its just the degree of annoyance thats the difference between the 3 IMO. And I never really paid attention to bars. Now I dont really go by the decibels anymore. Seems like with some phones I might cant even use it as a compass anymore for finding good or bad reception areas....and my RAZR had better phone reception than the other 2...

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Not exactly...since we all dont live, work, hang out in the exact same areas. For example...folks with the iPhone 4 and the antenna issue didnt really see it unless in a bad reception area.

Some manufactures are just better at things than others. Always has been that , always will be that way.

After using 3 LTE phones recently....they all can have data issues. Like what was mentioned in the article and what I have personally experienced:

Thats from the article this thread is about...and they state that their speculation depends on battery conservation software. My RAZR and Rezound ...RAZR it was either wait it out or toggle. Rezound has been reboot. G Nex I had it was wait or toggle. Only difference was my RAZR recovered faster or better than the other 2. My Rezound needing to be rebooted cuz its stuck in 1X is annoying. At this point...I dont know which one is more annoying, the G Nex or Rezound. I would rate my RARZ data experience as the least annoying. Especially after the updates for it.

But they all were/are annoying for data reception. Its just the degree of annoyance thats the difference between the 3 IMO.

You essentially reiterated what I said, it depends on your location, aka network location.

Of course phones will have slightly different ways of how they are affected by the network problem, but what stands out is that they all are affected.

If even one 4G device didn't have this issue, then we could start blaming phones.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You essentially reiterated what I said, it depends on your location, aka network location.

Of course phones will have slightly different ways of how they are affected by the network problem, but what stands out is that they all are affected.

If even one 4G device didn't have this issue, then we could start blaming phones.

Yea...for data drops, issues, I agree that so far every LTE phone can have problems. Every one I had.... had/have problems. Its the degree of severity that can be different from phone to phone...in the exact same locations. For that we can blame the phone. Whether its hardware or software. The article is speculating its software related.

Thats why I quoted that section from the article, and said which one I felt was the least annoying. I'm sorry....but if I have 3 different phones and they all behave differently in the exact same locations...its the phone. Whether its hardware or software.

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea...for data drops, issues, I agree that so far every LTE phone can have problems. Every one I had.... had/have problems. Its the degree of severity that can be different from phone to phone...in the exact same locations. For that we can blame the phone. Whether its hardware or software. The article is speculating its software related.

Thats why I quoted that section from the article, and said which one I felt was the least annoying.

Severity of the issue doesn't matter because the problem itself remains constant among all LTE devices. Until the network problem is corrected, we can't make any assumptions about the severity of the issue of each phone.

Since the issue shouldn't exist at all in any severity, the problem shouldn't occur on any of the devices once/if it's fixed. If the network/authentication problem is corrected, then we can find out which device has actual hardware and/or software issues resulting in poor performance.

Until then it's all speculation based on a very limited amount of personal data.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Severity of the issue doesn't matter because the problem itself remains constant among all LTE devices. Until the network problem is corrected, we can't make any assumptions about the severity of the issue of each phone.

Since the issue shouldn't exist at all in any severity, the problem shouldn't occur on any of the devices once/if it's fixed. If the network/authentication problem is corrected, then we can find out which device has actual hardware and/or software issues resulting in poor performance.

Until then it's all speculation based on a very limited amount of personal data.

I'll go with that. We can also say we cant rule out the phone as being the issue, if thats the case. And hardware issues can also mean defective units, bad batches.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll go with that. We can also say we cant rule out the phone as being the issue, if thats the case. And hardware issues can also mean defective units, bad batches.

Bolded can't be entirely true, since there are currently users without the issues on all the devices. So it is possible that all the current LTE devices have the potential to work perfectly.

But, bad batches could definitely be determined once we're 100% sure the authentication error/network problems are corrected.

Overall I think we both agree with one another, the details on the other hand are obviously going to be blurry between both arguments since we're both making assumptions based on our own data and that of other's personal data.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bolded can't be entirely true, since there are currently users without the issues on all the devices. So it is possible that all the current LTE devices have the potential to work perfectly.

But, bad batches could definitely be determined once we're 100% sure the authentication error/network problems are corrected.

Overall I think we both agree with one another, the details on the other hand are obviously going to be blurry between both arguments since we're both making assumptions based on our own data and that of other's personal data.

:biggrin:

My parting words for the night:

Everybody cant go by bars and decibels anymore.
None of these phones are perfect.
They all can have data issues.

Whatever phone you have...if its working great for you, thats all that matters. I have been keeping up with the Bionic lately and some folks never had data issues as bad as others, some say the latest update has made it almost perfect for data issues. We also have to remember that LTE is still the new kid on the block, something the article in this thread is mentioning. In a few years, hopefully these data issues will be less of an issue as they are now, especially after VoLTE comes out.

rdgxray

Reaction score
Nexus got 4.04 update today....owners pls let us know if this fixes your data issue...or improves it

pabowhunter

Reaction score
Rdgxray: Is this an OTA update???? My Nexus is still on 4.0.2 as of now...

rdgxray

Reaction score
Did some reading the 4.04 many people are applying is not an official ota...have to be rooted or unlocked bootloader to install it. No idea if it is going to be official ota. I would steer clear for now. Razr is having an ota soak tested today....hopefully we all get it soon.

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Honestly not sure why a nexus owner would not root. Been on 4.0.3 for a while now. Development is leaps and bounds ahead of stock.

Unless you're nervous. Why not.

I wouldn't say steer clear but source is not released for 404 yet. That build is from s nandroid I think.

However I'm using 404 gapps kejar put out today. Works with 403.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pabowhunter

Reaction score
Yakitori: The reason or should I say reasons that im not rooted or unlocked are: Im not knowledgeable enough do it myself and need to pay a lad 100.00 to do it for me... Had it done to my Thunderbolt and was running gingerbread and phone had more problems than my girls stock Thunderbolt did, Im not blaming the rooting on this because I don't know if and when U are rooted the phone must be maintained as far as updates to Roms kernels and such.. I had it done and ran it that way and never did anything untill it became well basically useless... kept rebooting had to keep changing cpu setting back to stock to keep it from over clocking and crashing 10 times a day.. and a host of other problems.. So bottom line is that I like the idea but its not for me.. My smart phone is smarter than me I guess.. I vowed to keep my Nexus stock and let the manufacturers developers do there job after all I payed a premium price for it..