Reasons why you lose Mobile Data signal....is its REALLY your phone? Likely NOT.

captdroid

Reaction score
I had to reboot my Gnex today to get 3g to work again. Doesn't happen often but has a few times. Don't know why. Perhaps the authentication issue which needs to be resolved.

capt. dan

Reaction score
I have been traveling between Birmingham and Cincinnati the past couple of months and have been having issues with my Thunderbolt. At home in Bham the 4G signal is great and very rarely drop it. It holds 4G almost all the way to Nashville with a few drops to 3G in between. About one mile south of the KY boarder problems begin. This has been a known issue to me since my original Droid. South Central KY all the way to Louisville is horrible. Louisville seems to be good. I seem to have problems in Cincinnati. I will have to reboot several times in a weeks stay and have had several issues where it says I have 4G but no data transfers. Makes me think that it has something to do with the network. I should be getting my Nexus in the next week or so and will see how it reacts.

ElectroM

Reaction score
I just returned from Costco with my third Galaxy Nexus. On the way home I stopped at a grocery store. As soon as I went inside my phone call dropped. I tried to call my friend about 10 times while in the store and it would start to call then drop it. I am sitting here at home and I can't go on the market to download my apps, it keeps saying no connection, retry. I love the phone, but if I am getting tired of this. I have read many threads about this, with many theories. What I know is the GNex's I have had are really bad for reception. My old OG Droid did not do this, in the same stores and the same house. The people at Costco said to try this new phone for a couple of weeks, and if I still have the same problems they will see what they can do about maybe getting a different phone. While I was in Costco I got them to compare my new GNex to a Razr. The Razr had a -73 dbm and a 4g connection. The Gnex had a weak 3g connection, with a -113 dbm. I think these numbers are correct, if not, they are close. I really don't want a different phone, such as a Razr or Rezound. But if this signal problem remains, I may have no choice. I could have kept my OG Droid and used the $300 for something else.

Nealius

Reaction score
What baseband do you have?

Sent from my GummyNex'd Galaxy Nexus!

ElectroM

Reaction score
I515.10 V.EK05/I515.EK02 on the new phone. The first two phones I515.09 V.EK05/I515.EK02. I have read a lot of posts about the different basebands and radios. Some seem to have better luck with one, some with another. For some, like me, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I wonder if it could be a quality control problem. Or a batch of bad parts, like the bad capacitor/mainboard problems a few years ago. Who knows? One thing for sure, if we wait on Verizon/Samsung, no one will ever know, if it is a hardware problem. Okay, here's my 2 cents. My gut says it feels like an antenna problem.

Last edited:

Nealius

Reaction score
I515.10 V.EK05/I515.EK02 on the new phone. The first two phones I515.09 V.EK05/I515.EK02.

i went thru 3 phones also first 2 were .09 this one which is perfect is .10
there goes my theory

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just returned from Costco with my third Galaxy Nexus. On the way home I stopped at a grocery store. As soon as I went inside my phone call dropped. I tried to call my friend about 10 times while in the store and it would start to call then drop it. I am sitting here at home and I can't go on the market to download my apps, it keeps saying no connection, retry. I love the phone, but if I am getting tired of this. I have read many threads about this, with many theories. What I know is the GNex's I have had are really bad for reception. My old OG Droid did not do this, in the same stores and the same house. The people at Costco said to try this new phone for a couple of weeks, and if I still have the same problems they will see what they can do about maybe getting a different phone. While I was in Costco I got them to compare my new GNex to a Razr. The Razr had a -73 dbm and a 4g connection. The Gnex had a weak 3g connection, with a -113 dbm. I think these numbers are correct, if not, they are close. I really don't want a different phone, such as a Razr or Rezound. But if this signal problem remains, I may have no choice. I could have kept my OG Droid and used the $300 for something else.

3g phones don't use the same technology as 4g phones. Its easy to assume that since my old Droid never had signal issues...this one shouldn't. The d1 doesn't use a sim card.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ElectroM

Reaction score
That is why I am hesitant to talk about dbm's and the number of bars. I understand comparing apples to oranges. What I am complaining about is the phone dropping calls in the grocery store where I never used to have a problem. I also have used my Droid as a backup for when my dsl went down several times. I could tether and get online to check email, etc. With the nexus, in the same room of the same house, I have to use wifi tethering to get online with the phone most of the time. I am looking at this as a usability issue. I really like the nexus. I like the screen, how fast it is, how smooth it is and I think ICS is way better than Froyo. But having said that, it is a phone and I guess I expected it to have good reception.

kmo

Reaction score
Hey, this device is more than a lot of people can handle. You need to be able to troubleshoot and research what issue is going on for you. Most will just assume the phone is screwed up and won't look any further. It takes some work and patience to get this right, especially on a new 4G device and a whole new OS.

Reaction score
this is why apple didn't put out a 4g phone, they didn't want their products blamed for problems because of vzw's network flaws as android phones are. it's smart to approach a completely new network with caution.

VZW would never admit the problem is with their network, but would rather deal with the return/exchange of thousands of phones. they must have decided that this makes more economic sense for them rather than admitting they are no longer the "most reliable network in the country", which would certainly be a PR disaster for them....

alboboy10

Reaction score
Doubt that's why apple doesn't have 4g. The fact that they don't have 4g is not a good thing. It means that they're years behind

taylorce209

Reaction score
Well know I finally know. I'be ben wondering what in the heck was up with phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

rdgxray

Reaction score
I have had the droid charge...small data problem-justs dealt with it....droid bionic- big data problem initially but after 2 ota updates, no data problem....samsung galaxy nexus-biggest data problem of any phone I had, basically unusable at times, after 1 week of it not working I returned it....I used the bionic with it's data problem for months ....never once thought of returning it...worked most the time...nexus hardly worked at all....traded it for razr...not one data drop with razr....if it is the network then why do bionic and razr work almost without a hitch? The phone plays a great part in this problem ...if an ota can fix it, stick with your phone till patch comes out if you can tolerate it...nexus had constant drops, poor signal (it said no signal where every other phone works fine) and iffy call quality....I can't tolerate those things in a phone...blame the network if you want but when everyone around you using same network has no problems ...might want to check your phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

pabowhunter

Reaction score
As stated before by myself on similar thread... I do own both razr and nexus set them side by side the razr shows more bars say 4 and the nexus shows 1 sometimes none but still can make calls and web surf.. now look at actually signal strength in the settings while razr shows 4 bars 3G and nexus shows 1or nothing 3G.. The razr shows slightly better actual signal but not much, so even though the bars are not there on nexus means nothing it still has signal.. I do get dropped data on razr and nexus both and the razr is a tad more stable but not much... Motorola has been known for better antenna.. My test assured me its big reds issue not the phones.... And also proved that the razr gives a false sense of much better signal by way of bars and the nexus is more accurate by way of bars...

rdgxray

Reaction score
I pay no attention to bars...nexus dropped data constantly...while streaming music driving...it would drop all over...bionic and razr never drop...I have not done any scientific tests but razr and bionic get a steady flow of data with no drops...nexus has uneven flow with constant drops in my experience ...hopefully next ota update fixes this for nexus and everyone is happy...bionic had similar problems when I 1st got it but never became unusable ...recent ota made it rock solid....use my phone's data for business and can't have an uneven or loss of data for extended period