Real-World Testing Shows Android's Browser 52% Faster than iPhone's on 84% of Sites

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
chart_fastestmedloadtime.jpg
chart_winlossloadtime_v2.jpg

Some industrious folks over at the web analyst site Blaze, did some serious real-world testing comparing Android's Chrome browser speeds to the iPhone's Safari browser speeds. The results speak for themselves, with the Android browser coming out a whopping 52% faster in 84% of the websites tested! Their testing methodology used 45,000 page loads from real-world websites, not browser benchmark programs which are typically skewed due to 'benchmark optimizations'.

Here's a quote from them, summarizing their test methods:
The study was done primarily on iPhone 4 and Google Nexus S. The websites used were those of the Fortune 1000 companies. Each page was loaded multiple times and on different days, measured primarily over WiFi. For each device, we used the median load time for the comparison. The total number of tests was over 45,000.

This study was made possible through custom apps we developed, used to measure page load time on mobile devices. These apps run on the actual devices, load a page on demand, and measure how long it took.
Their goal was to create a test that would measure a user's real-world experience. Their test's showed that, " ...Android wasn’t just faster overall, but rather provided a faster browsing experience 4 times out of 5." To put it in perspective, the Android's median load time was 2.144 seconds vs. the iPhone’s median load time of 3.254 seconds.

android-eats-apple.jpg

Yum. Apples are a tasty treat!

Source: Android.net via AndroidPolice and Blaze.io

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, 1 second! I'm blown away by that killer speed. :)

Let's have a good laugh and compare Android, iPhone, and Blackberry. I predict there may be actual minutes differences in speed.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean 1 second? Is that really noteworthy? LOL...

EgooEspada

Reaction score
No surprise here. Android's mobile browser has a faster JavaScript than Safari. I mean, its not by a lot, but it's no surprise. lol.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think the biggest thing is that I can actually scroll down a page on Android and not look at a bunch of grey/white boxes waiting for the page to render.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
It's been pointed out that the test was botched, 3rd party software was being used on the iPhone which did not take newer software technology such as JIT into consideration.

The information attained is useless.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I have never used or seen an iPhone, so I do not know. In my experience this phone takes quite some time to render pages, no matter which browser I use. This is on wifi.

GDP

Reaction score
The iphone is a great phone and Safari is probably the best browser on any mobile OS. I'd still take any current Android phone over the iPhone 4.

We will see about the iphone 5 and all of the upcoming Android phones.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I have never used or seen an iPhone, so I do not know. In my experience this phone takes quite some time to render pages, no matter which browser I use. This is on wifi.

Tests were done on the Nexus S, mind you.

patfactorx

Reaction score
High end PC Desktop vs Mac who wins?

High end PC laptop vs Mac who wins?

Is this test surprising? Apple has never been the fastest