Real-Time Traffic Re-routing added to Google Maps Nav

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-nav-traffic.jpg

Google has just added an interesting new feature to Google Maps Navigation. Now, you can utilize real-time traffic re-routing to get you out of those nasty traffic jams on the way to/from work. At the moment, it is still in beta, and only in North America and Europe, but reports indicate it is very promising and works very reliably already. Of course, Google Maps already had traffic info for some time now, and this seems to be an excellent 'evolution' of the functionality. The technology utilizes a combination of multiple sources, and take into account both current and historical information about your route in order to plot new routes for you.

You can get the update today and let us know how well it works in the forums. :)

Source: Android.net via Engadget and Google Mobile Blog

Jeyman

Reaction score
With the way they are making maps they really should think about moving into GPS only tec. Its really coming along, It may not look as good as a tomtom, but its still be cheaper to make as google Maps is free right?

I mean a dev could just slap it onto a system without needing to make one from the ground up. no fee for the code(or does the app not follow like the OS?)

champaned_out

Reaction score
^ I think you still need cellular data to communicate with google maps... most gps only devices are unable to automatically update everytime there's a update available... so in order to make a gps only device running google maps, they would probably need a monthly data plan along with it... which would turn a lot of people away from it

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

m3kilpat

Reaction score
Does this tell you when traffic is coming up and give you the routing options automatically?

I'm still waiting for Maps to stop taking me on back a** routes half the time even when the major highway route is faster. Also waiting for it to show the speed limit of roads.

Other than that I love Maps.

Big Ry

Reaction score
With the way they are making maps they really should think about moving into GPS only tec. Its really coming along, It may not look as good as a tomtom, but its still be cheaper to make as google Maps is free right?

I mean a dev could just slap it onto a system without needing to make one from the ground up. no fee for the code(or does the app not follow like the OS?)

Well Google is launching a GPS satellite soon :-o

And I hope this rerouting is accurate. AT&T navigator had this, but it almost never had accurate up-to-date information.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

jayman350

Reaction score
I'm a little leery about having Maps automatically update the route. Half the times I have looked on Maps for traffic info, it is at least an hour old and the traffic situation has changed (usually for the worse).

I think I would prefer to have it come up with an option asking if I would like to re-route around the traffic.

pobrien904

Reaction score
I want speed limit info!

Bur traffic info with updates sounds nice

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

GrillMouster

Reaction score
With the way they are making maps they really should think about moving into GPS only tec. QUOTE]

I haven't looked into getting a dedicated GPS unit for myself, but a while back I noticed in a Best Buy ad that a bunch of GPS units do say that they are powered by Google Maps. They may be paying a license fee for that.

I happen to live and work in places where there's just no getting around bad rush-hour traffic. Any route you take is going to be busy, but an accident would turn any route into a parking lot. It's happened way too often. With this re-routing, I was able to get home faster yesterday than I would have if I had taken my normal route, because of an accident. As a side-benefit I discovered a new side-street (not residential) that will cut several minutes off of my normal commute.

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
The new feature really works, It rerouted me away from an accident that I was approaching

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm a little leery about having Maps automatically update the route. Half the times I have looked on Maps for traffic info, it is at least an hour old and the traffic situation has changed (usually for the worse).

I think I would prefer to have it come up with an option asking if I would like to re-route around the traffic.
2nd. traffic info is spotty at best here. i'm not sure how it gets updated, but i've seen entire streets in red and there not be a single car on them.