Editor in Chief
- Dec 30, 2010
- Reaction score
- Austin, TX
The VP of Google's Location and Local Services Division, Marissa Mayer, recently shared some interesting Google Mobile stats that we are passing on to you. Here's the interesting highlights:
- 40% of all Google Maps usage is from mobile devices
- Christmas and New Years day mobile usage surpassed desktop usage for the first time.
- 150 million mobile users on Google Maps
- Google Maps Navigation, included on Android handsets, has guided users 12 billion miles a year, and the latest version with traffic routing saves users 2 years per day in time that would have been spent in traffic.
- Google Maps could get smarter, and become contextually aware. For instance, if you were trying to catch a flight, Google Maps could see your flight schedule to see when your flight was, then look and analyze real-time traffic data and weather conditions to try and figure out the exact time you should leave
- Google would like there to be better Google Maps for iPhone. “We like being the default provider, but we’d like to get some of these updates out to a broader audience. That’s still a debate/question we’re considering.”