Re send unsent emails

fishstick600

Reaction score
Hey im in a poor reception area atm but im running off wi-fi.. Heres my problem.. whenever i try to send a email i get an alert saying my email has been unsent tap here for more..or something like that.. When i tap on it it takes me to my outbox.. when i click on the email it doesnt do anything and when i hold tap it it just gives me an option to delete it... Does anyone know how to re send the unsent email?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is this the stock email client? It has plenty bad bugs. Use anything else.

Sometimes ISPs block port 25 to combat spam. You may want to contact your service provider if you keep having problems...or just try switching your SMTP (outgoing) port to 587 and see if it helps.

OP
fishstick600

fishstick600

Reaction score
Ya i think that was it because it automatically sent on 3g

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
1. For non-Gmail accounts :
Go to your inbox or default message view. Tap your menu 'button' and select
Folders. Tap Menu in Folders view and then select Refresh. Unless you have an
SMTP send issue it will resend messages stuck in yer outbox.
2. If you have problems with outgoing mail as in my case with Time Warner
(Roadrunner). Make sure your wifi is OFF and 3G is ON. Open 'Messaging' ( I have a Doid 2-not sure about exact steps w/Droid1) and tap Menu, then Manage Accounts, select your POP3 account - i.e. Roadrunner. Select Outgoing Server. Enter the same password you use to get incoming email into the password field. With Roadrunner at least, this will solve your problem. This gets around the Relay error issue. When off Roadrunners network you have to authenticate to get SMTP access and you need the password. When on their network as in at home using wifi, DON'T use the password. This works with laptops too. Don't know for sure about other ISPs though, your results may vary.

jtaylr

Reaction score
(Roadrunner). Make sure your wifi is OFF and 3G is ON. Open 'Messaging' ( I have a Doid 2-not sure about exact steps w/Droid1) and tap Menu, then Manage Accounts, select your POP3 account - i.e. Roadrunner. Select Outgoing Server. Enter the same password you use to get incoming email into the password field. With Roadrunner at least, this will solve your problem. This gets around the Relay error issue. When off Roadrunners network you have to authenticate to get SMTP access and you need the password. When on their network as in at home using wifi, DON'T use the password. This works with laptops too. Don't know for sure about other ISPs though, your results may vary.

I'm having the same issue and I'm trying to follow your directions. Starting from my Inbox: 1. Press Menu button 2. Select Folders 3. Press Menu again, but it appears to do nothing

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BleedingEdge
(Roadrunner). Make sure your wifi is OFF and 3G is ON. Open 'Messaging' ( I have a Doid 2-not sure about exact steps w/Droid1) and tap Menu, then Manage Accounts, select your POP3 account - i.e. Roadrunner. Select Outgoing Server. Enter the same password you use to get incoming email into the password field. With Roadrunner at least, this will solve your problem. This gets around the Relay error issue. When off Roadrunners network you have to authenticate to get SMTP access and you need the password. When on their network as in at home using wifi, DON'T use the password. This works with [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]laptops[/COLOR][/COLOR] too. Don't know for sure about other [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]ISPs[/COLOR][/COLOR] though, your results may vary.

I'm having the same issue and I'm trying to follow your directions. Starting from my Inbox: 1. Press Menu button 2. Select Folders 3. Press Menu again, but it appears to do nothing

OK, my bad. Here's what I meant to say.
Provided that your messages are not stuck in your outbox due to SMTP settings issues, you can 're-send' them as follows.
To re-send messages that are stuck in your outbox if you're using the 'Messaging' software with the Droid 2:
1.) Tap icon to open 'Messaging'.
2.) Tap account icon for the account your using(assuming you've set one
up).
3.) From the message list screen for that account, Tap the menu button.
4.) Tap the 'Refresh' icon on the menu panel.

This will pull down any new mail waiting for download as well as send waiting mail in your outbox, much like the Send/Receive icon in Outlook.
Guess I was not clear on my original post. Hope this helps.

jtaylr

Reaction score
I was messing around with my Email delivery settings and when I turned on Data push, the message was delivered the next time I checked my e-mail.

cwilkins

Reaction score
This is one of few things that's also been really bugging me with my Droid2. That is, outgoing messages will fail to be delivered and get stuck in the Outbox, only option is to delete, etc. Refreshing the outbox seems to have exactly zero effect.

However, I toggled Data-Push off/on and sent a test message. I don't know if messing with Data-Push had anything to do with it, but the result was first two messages in the outbox (the original stuck message plus the test message), then within a minute, both messages were sent and life was good.

Lastly, please forgive me a bit of editorializing...

"Sent" messages should just keep automatically retrying until sent. Period. This includes email, SMS and MMS. Users should not have to jump through hoops to resend. It should "just work." I understand there can be cell coverage problems or whatever, and feel free to alert me that there's a delay, but otherwise, I've already expressed my desire to send the message -- so send the damn message!

Thanks, I feel better now. :)

-cw-

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
RE: Stuck outbound messages

Since I bought my D2 in late August about the only times I've had outgoing (SMTP) problems are when I either didn't have a data signal, had hosed up my SMTP server set-up info when creating an account or was having SMTP-relay error issues. Those can be tough because Android does not seem to give error details that help figure things out.
Here is an example of an SMTP relay issue:
My ISP and POP email account host is RoadRunner. If I am connected at home through my Wi-Fi network I am 'on' RoadRunner's network and should not have my outgoing SMTP config set to log in before sending. In fact, it fails if I do. If however I am away from home, I am typically on Verizon's network and I HAVE TO log in before sending mail. It's a recipe for confusion - especially if you have your home Wi-Fi set to connect automatically. I know of no way in Android to get around the need to toggle the SMTP authentication issue other than to just keep my Wi-Fi turned off unless I'm doing something really bandwidth/data usage intensive. BTW, if your'e not already using K9 as an email client You may want to check it out. It is easier to configure and customize than 'Messaging' or the Gmail client and will allow both POP and IMAP(Gmail) account set-ups within the same program. Obviously a personal preference.