RE: HOW TO: Convert DVDs and Videos for use with Droid

singincanary

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Another quick question: how long does it take to download/convert/transfer a DVD to the Droid? Probably depends on the length of movie, etc, but what's a ballpark timeframe?

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

Thanks for the quick reply.

Another quick question: how long does it take to download/convert/transfer a DVD to the Droid? Probably depends on the length of movie, etc, but what's a ballpark timeframe?

You are welcome,

It really depends on the system you are using, as well as the profile you selected. Below a few posts fro this thread that should give you an idea:

I went home and tried it on my HP quad core and wow is all I have to say. I was able to manage converting with the Droid HQ in less than 40 mins -- (running an avg speed at 3.97x)

This is from a post from me I did using 3 Droid profiles (thunderbold profiles are slightly faster due to a lower screen resolution:

I ran a few tests to show the difference in conversion speed between the 3 Droid profiles found in DVD Catalyst 3. (the settings for these profiles apply to the Droid 2 and Droid X as well)

The system used is a Dell E1705 laptop with a Core2Duo processor, Windows 7 (32bit)and 3GB of memory. I use an external HP burner (HP dvd1170) because the DVD drive of the laptop is pretty bad.

The tests were run using the default settings in DVD Catalyst 3, no changes were made, except selecting the profile.

The DVD I used was "How To Train Your Dragon", fresh from the store, and no other applications were used.

So, for a 1 1/2 hour movie,
the standard Droid profile takes about 35 minutes to convert the DVD
the Droid HQ profile takes a little over an hour, and
the Droid HQ2 profile takes a little less than the actual playtime of the movie before the conversion is complete.

Running the same DVD (and same DVD drive) on a Vaio-P netbook, (atom 1.33Ghz, win7 32bit, 2gb) the conversion speed does drop to 0.5x realtime, which basically means that this (dirtslow) system would take 3 hours to convert the movie.

And when I use an eeePC (900Mhz celeron, Windows XP, 2GB) with the same DVD and DVD drive, the conversion runs at 0.6x realtime (slightly faster than the Vaio-P) and would take about 2hours and 40 minutes for the conversion to complete.

Netbooks are not the greatest choice for doing DVD conversions, but on pretty much any other system you should definately be able to get a higher speed

Reaction score
ripbot?

Do any of you guys use ripbot? I use it with any dvd to to rip blu rays, but it works really well with making files for the thunderbolt as well. I just copy the dvd to my hdd and then click on the biggest vob file, and it makes a mp4 verision of the movie that you can put on your phone. It doesn't take very long at all and you can set the target size as well.

JTAC

Reaction score
Wow! I take a short hiatus and this thread has blown up. Still using DVD Catalyst for all my video conversions. Whether it's my OG Droid, TV, PS3, my iPhone 4 (hated that phone) or my new HTC Thunderbolt.

nikecar

Reaction score
Giveawayoftheday had WinX dvd ripper platinum free this weekend. It was a 6 day install window. Or go to WinX.com

I've used it for years and its great at converting any dvd to any format, no matter what protections there may be. Allows to be converted to avi, mp4, flv, 3gp, etc.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.