RE: HOW TO: Convert DVDs and Videos for use with Droid

bsteph10

Reaction score
XBox 360 and Droid

Hello,

I've had some time to run some tests and I've found that the best format for my Xbox would be WMV HQ, however when I try to run that through DVD Catalyst I get a "Failed" message and a 0 KB file. I know it's the best format because I've used another software to convert to this format

WMV HQ gives me the closest to the original DVD Quality, Dolby Digital Sound, and the ability to fast forward and rewind on the Xbox.

Thanks,

Bryan

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

Hello,

I've had some time to run some tests and I've found that the best format for my Xbox would be WMV HQ, however when I try to run that through DVD Catalyst I get a "Failed" message and a 0 KB file. I know it's the best format because I've used another software to convert to this format

WMV HQ gives me the closest to the original DVD Quality, Dolby Digital Sound, and the ability to fast forward and rewind on the Xbox.

Thanks,

Bryan

The best format for the 360 is H264, not WMV.
The WMV format in DVD Catalyst is not VC-1, it has the older wmv9, wmv8 and wmv7 formats, which are more optimized for portable devices than for playback on a big-screen.

I don't know why it would have problems converting to the format, but it might be better to send me an email on that rather than troubleshooting this on an Android forum.

For the 360, just select the XBOX360 > H264 HQ profile, or just use your Droid-optimized files. Unless you convert HD content. If you convert from DVDs, the resolution is pretty close to that of the Droid.

bsteph10

Reaction score
XBox 360 and Droid

Hi DVD,

Yes, I guess I've totally left the Droid subject as of now so we should move this conversation somewhere else, I'll get in touch with you via the DVD Catalyst help email.

Thanks again for your help,

Bryan

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

Hi DVD,

Yes, I guess I've totally left the Droid subject as of now so we should move this conversation somewhere else, I'll get in touch with you via the DVD Catalyst help email.

Thanks again for your help,

Bryan

You are welcome,

On a last note, I think I know what is causing the 0kb conversions.
The 5.1 setting recently added in DVD Cat 4 works with most formats, but I don't think it will work with WMV. The conversion process for WMV is a bit different than most other conversion formats, so if you selected 5.1 audio, thats probably the reason.

D_H

Reaction score
dvdcat you are the man i downloaded the free version and just put get him to the greek bluray rip on my droid and the quality is just as good as my hd tv....dancedroid:icon_ banana:

macssnax

Reaction score
If I use a Mac computer can I still put the movies on my Droid X? I have been trying to figure out how to rip movies I own to the MAC to use on my Apple TV.

macssnax

Reaction score
tried it last night and the movie tiled up. audio seemed to be ok just the picture. any ideas on the settings needed to clear it up?

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

tried it last night and the movie tiled up. audio seemed to be ok just the picture. any ideas on the settings needed to clear it up?

Can you be a bit more specific? There isn't any information you provided for me to work with to be honest.

"tiled up" doesn't really tell me what the problem is.

Did you experience the same issue with different movies? Are you converting from DVD(which one) or are you converting video files (what kind). Did you try diffent DVDs?

The only thing that comes to mind is that you tried to convert a movie of a different region of that of your DVD drive. For example a DVD movie purchased from Japan, and are using a USA-bought DVD drive.

The same thing would happen if you convert a "DIGITAL COPY" movie, as you can find included on some DVDs and Blurays.

macssnax

Reaction score
sorry for the late response been busy the last couple of days.

The Bank job is the movie with Jason Statham. When I try to preview on the Apple computer or my TV using my Apple TV device, the video is not clear. It has several blocks on the screen and prevents me from seeing the video clearly. not sure how to explain it any better. Think of tiling from a cable box but much worse. Not that I know much but it appears I do not have the settings correct on the software as it is downloaded. Using VLC and Handbrake from a tutorial I watched.

macssnax

Reaction score

The Bank job is the movie with Jason Statham. When I try to preview on the Apple computer or my TV using my Apple TV device, the video is not clear. It has several blocks on the screen and prevents me from seeing the video clearly. not sure how to explain it any better. Think of tiling from a cable box but much worse. Not that I know much but it appears I do not have the settings correct on the software as it is downloaded. Using VLC and Handbrake from a tutorial I watched.

sorry I did try another movie. (Couples Retreat) - Same results

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

Ah ok, I was under the impression you used DVD Catalyst.

Since you are using Handbrake, I would suggest to try a conversion of your DVD using the standard iPhone/iPod Touch profile, and see if you have the same problem.
If that works fine, you might have forgotten a setting mentioned in the tutorial video you used.

singincanary

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum, and new to a Droid. Coming from a BB I want to have "fun" with the Droid. I visited your website but can't figure out if the program is compatible with the new Thunderbolt. I'd love to get some movies onto the TB to entertain my son on our trips and me while I'm waiting for appointments/meetings/etc. Hoping this will work.

Also wondering if this program (or another) would be able to copy a movie downloaded from Netflix onto a PC to be playable on the Droid.

Thanks.

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

Hi,

New to the forum, and new to a Droid. Coming from a BB I want to have "fun" with the Droid. I visited your website but can't figure out if the program is compatible with the new Thunderbolt. I'd love to get some movies onto the TB to entertain my son on our trips and me while I'm waiting for appointments/meetings/etc. Hoping this will work.

Also wondering if this program (or another) would be able to copy a movie downloaded from Netflix onto a PC to be playable on the Droid.

Thanks.

Hi,

dvdcat4 works with the Thunderbolt, and includes a couple of different profiles for it.
As for the downloaded netflix movies, it really depends on what you used to download the file and in what format it is in. dvdcat can handle most unprotected video formats, such as MKV, ISO, AVI etc, so it might work.