Re: Bionics stuck @ 1.0Ghz after ICS leaks

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
As one of those whose Bionic is stuck @1.0Ghz I have 3 last-ditch questions and they're pretty newb-ish...

I noticed in the /sys/board_properties/soc/ folder that there is a file which according to Root Explorer, is an executable script called max_freq.
On my device (which is once again @1.0 Ghz) there is only one line in the file, which reads simply 1.0Ghz.

So...
Here's where the dumb questions start
1.) Is this an active script that is executed on boot or could be made to execute?
2.) Does anyone think they can edit the script to read 1.2Ghz instead (I tried and can't get the change to stick)?
3.) Is it possible that the CPU clock speed could be controlled by something as simple as this?

Again, sorry if the answers are obvious to everyone but me.... :blink:

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Yep, I'm at 1.0 GHz and on 232 right now, I'd like a chance to see what difference that extra speed makes!
I'm sure there are devs working on figuring out just what the heck is going on - and I'm sure motorola already knows why some get a faster clock speed than others.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am right there with you all. I installed 232 and am benchmarked right at 1.0 Ghz. Although I am pretty happy with the faster OS, I would like also like to take a ride at 1.2 Ghz!

bbucks36

Reaction score
i have 1.2 ghz .. with that small amount of boost . not really noticable..but then again ive been ICS since first leak... battery to me seems to be the same .. but no more F-ing data drops .. which i love...

OP
B

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback

I am at `1.2ghz and that same file says 1.2ghz on mine.

Thanks for validating that. I'd like to either edit my file to 1.2Ghz or rename the original and try to add a script named max_freq.The problem is no changes seem to stick in that folder, I've already tried to rename the file prior to dropping in my script but it's a no go - even after mounting the file system as RW and changing the permissions on the file with Root Explorer. I have a hunch the change has to be done with ADB or by flashing a zip, both of which a little outside my range - I'm a PC tech and just getting into Linux. :blink:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

bbtkd

Reaction score
No idea on how/if you can edit the file, but I suspect that as part of the upgrade process they run a one-time CPU test to determine how fast your particular CPU can run and be stable. Then it writes that file, which is read at each boot. This way it does not have to do the test at every boot. So - if you could change that file, I suspect it would TRY to clock your CPU to that speed at each boot. But - if the test found your CPU unstable at 1.2GHz, you could find yourself in a crash/boot loop though more likely it would run and get some type of sporadic error. Wonder what would happen at boot if the file were gone or corrupted? Anyway - just my speculation, but it would be the logical way for them to do it.

OP
B

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if that would be a problem for my CPU. On GB I was running my Bionic overclocked @1.25Ghz and my GPU @384Mhz (up from 300Mhz) using init.d scripting for months with no stability or overheating. Worst case scenario would be the FXZ back to .902 again - for about the 6th time in the last month or so LOL. So my only concern is that the max_freq file may be just a passive file generated by the update process that serves as a report instead of an active/config file that changes the device if altered. I guess the only way to find out is by doing it, that is if I can figure out how to make the changes stick.

dluke

Reaction score
ya ive been at 1.2 for all the ICS builds.. and my max_freq files reads 1.2Ghz as well.. interesting.. maybe that file is the key.. ill try to play around on ADB tonight.. i would hate to drop mine to 1.0 and then not be able to get it back to 1.2 though.. haha

OP
B

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
ya ive been at 1.2 for all the ICS builds.. and my max_freq files reads 1.2Ghz as well.. interesting.. maybe that file is the key.. ill try to play around on ADB tonight.. i would hate to drop mine to 1.0 and then not be able to get it back to 1.2 though.. haha

Ah,that would suck, no do that. Maybe one of the other stuck@1Ghz folks could try it or if someone could provide instructions. I'd hate to see anyone at 1.2Ghz end up at 1.0 by messing around with this.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's going to work. I believe that file is simply created based on the results of the theoretical stability test that is run (theoretical because no one has proved this is what occurs yet, it's a theory we came up with). It is probably used once to set something elsewhere in the OS. It's not a simple matter of changing text in one file, as the CPU speed on these things is actually set within the kernel. I suspect that the kernel itself is modified on first boot.

The folks stuck at 1.0GHz are probably going to have to wait until a kernel module is developed for ICS that allows overclocking, similar to what we had with GB.

johnjingle

Reaction score
Bionic's used OMAP4460's until Motorola switched to cheaper OMAP4430's. Some of the Bionic CPUs have 5 "speed slots" and can run up to 1.2GHz like the RAZR, others have 4 "speed slots" and can only do 1.0GHz. The Bionic with the right SoC is automatically moved to the 5 slot setup once an ICS leak/OTA is installed (a function of the kernel).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave12308 said:
I don't think it's going to work. I believe that file is simply created based on the results of the theoretical stability test that is run (theoretical because no one has proved this is what occurs yet, it's a theory we came up with). It is probably used once to set something elsewhere in the OS. It's not a simple matter of changing text in one file, as the CPU speed on these things is actually set within the kernel. I suspect that the kernel itself is modified on first boot.

The folks stuck at 1.0GHz are probably going to have to wait until a kernel module is developed for ICS that allows overclocking, similar to what we had with GB.

That would be hypothetical.... A theory in lamens terms is the way you described it, which is actually a hypothesis... Wherein scientific terms, a theory is the highest honor an idea can have and has been tested vigorously by the scientific community thousands of times and is about as close to tried truth as you can be... I.e. The theory of evolution...

dg5301

Reaction score
Bionic's used OMAP4460's until Motorola switched to cheaper OMAP4430's. Some of the Bionic CPUs have 5 "speed slots" and can run up to 1.2GHz like the RAZR, others have 4 "speed slots" and can only do 1.0GHz. The Bionic with the right SoC is automatically moved to the 5 slot setup once an ICS leak/OTA is installed (a function of the kernel).

A very small number of early Bionics got the 4460 and the vast majority have the 4430. The latest versions of the HoB include the utility for checking to see what processor the phone has, and so far I don't know if anyone but SargentmajorD has ended up having the 4460, but tons of folks with a 4430 are getting the 1.2GHz bump. Not arguing that the 4460 doesn't have more available slots, but something else is going on that is allowing some 4430-equipped phones to get the bump and some not to.

johnjingle

Reaction score
I wasn't saying that it was only the 4460's that had/have 5 slots, there are different revisions of the 4430 too.

A very small number of early Bionics got the 4460 and the vast majority have the 4430. The latest versions of the HoB include the utility for checking to see what processor the phone has, and so far I don't know if anyone but SargentmajorD has ended up having the 4460, but tons of folks with a 4430 are getting the 1.2GHz bump. Not arguing that the 4460 doesn't have more available slots, but something else is going on that is allowing some 4430-equipped phones to get the bump and some not to.