re-activating fingerprint scanner after encryption

w00dee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S5
OK I went the encryption route.

I had to do it to access my work emails through exchange, the company policy thingy made changes.

I had already rooted the phone and THEN applied encryption, thinking there would be a way now that I have root access to change this feature. No luck so far.

Any suggestions ?

OP
W

w00dee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S5
So, the fingerprint scanner doesn't work if you encrypt the phone?

Also, welcome to the forum!

Thanks. :)

Once the phone is encrypted, several things happen :

on powerup there is a separate prompt for pin code. ( this appears to happen prior to operating system start )
Then it powers up and you put in your normal pin entry.

Swipe, shape, fingerprint all disabled for phone use.

pin code is 6 digits, instead of 4. This also occurred when I applied this encryption to my old iphone 4.

yes it is worth doing, in my case. I get mobile access to my company emails and calendar.

I want to be able to use either a shape or my fingerprint to login.

OP
W

w00dee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S5
the other annoying thing I forgot about, I used to have i-key. a handy little device that plugs into the earphone socket and has a small button. this can be used for many things, but I used mine to take quick photos. This was also disabled by the application of encryption.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks. :)

Once the phone is encrypted, several things happen :

on powerup there is a separate prompt for pin code. ( this appears to happen prior to operating system start )
Then it powers up and you put in your normal pin entry.

Swipe, shape, fingerprint all disabled for phone use.

pin code is 6 digits, instead of 4. This also occurred when I applied this encryption to my old iphone 4.

yes it is worth doing, in my case. I get mobile access to my company emails and calendar.

I want to be able to use either a shape or my fingerprint to login.
As an IT director, the advice that I'm expected to give is that you should follow your company's policies and accept what that means for your device if you choose to use your device for company purposes.

OP
W

w00dee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S5
yes, but as a committed fiddler, I MUST find out how to do this. :) The IT dept of my company rarely hear from me, as I generally figure stuff out without them, and the only time I call is when I haven't noticed an outage bulletin and think its something I have changed that causes my 1SAP or emails not to work.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
yes, but as a committed fiddler, I MUST find out how to do this. :) The IT dept of my company rarely hear from me, as I generally figure stuff out without them, and the only time I call is when I haven't noticed an outage bulletin and think its something I have changed that causes my 1SAP or emails not to work.
I do find it odd that it won't at least let you use fingerprint, but I don't have any advice for you. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.