razr maxx hd reboot and freezing

imrunninon

Reaction score
This is my second maxx HD. First one had same power cycling issue and random freezes at any time of use or even non use. Verizon did hard reset and was good for about a week and in the forest and drive to it began power cycling. Thinking it may be due to losing and finding signal but wasn't consistent to that. replaced phone and only into day 1 and phone is having same issues with freezing randomly. A few times being after I turned off Wifi or lost wifi signal, also noticed it happen when i turned off wifi myself and it was trying to get 4g. Is this a jelly bean issue? I owned original RAZR maxx and never had these issues only replaced because I cracked the screen. I am completely new to these formus. Help please. Its all new phones never rooted or anything. Thanks

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
This is my second maxx HD. First one had same power cycling issue and random freezes at any time of use or even non use. Verizon did hard reset and was good for about a week and in the forest and drive to it began power cycling. Thinking it may be due to losing and finding signal but wasn't consistent to that. replaced phone and only into day 1 and phone is having same issues with freezing randomly. A few times being after I turned off Wifi or lost wifi signal, also noticed it happen when i turned off wifi myself and it was trying to get 4g. Is this a jelly bean issue? I owned original RAZR maxx and never had these issues only replaced because I cracked the screen. I am completely new to these formus. Help please. Its all new phones never rooted or anything. Thanks
You might want to check out the Maxx HD section of the forum. You're more likely to find another user (or more) that is having the same issue over there. Your issue could be caused by several things. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that you are experiencing the exact same thing with two brand new phones. You might have an app that is causing the problem. It sounds as if your issue happens when you are switching from WiFi to 3g/4g. You may have an app that doesn't make that transition very well and causes a problem. You could go into recovery and clear cache and data. If that doesn't help do a factory reset, yeah I know PITA. Aside from these suggestions I don't know what else you can do except maybe going back to Verizon and get a replacement.

OP
I

imrunninon

Reaction score
Thanks.. the one equalizer app I thought may have causing it is gone and still happens.. I posted already in maxx forum and nothing yet. I'm getting a new SD card as this one is a year old just to try something else as that's the only physical thing that's the same between devices. But you may be right it is an app, it will just be difficult to identify the app that causes it as it could be any of them running in the background....

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thanks.. the one equalizer app I thought may have causing it is gone and still happens.. I posted already in maxx forum and nothing yet. I'm getting a new SD card as this one is a year old just to try something else as that's the only physical thing that's the same between devices. But you may be right it is an app, it will just be difficult to identify the app that causes it as it could be any of them running in the background....
I've had to do that before (eliminating apps). The easiest way I have found to do that is to do a factory reset, boot into Safe Mode (forgot how to do that but you can Google it). Safe Mode allows only factory installed apps to run. Give it a few hours and see if the problem persist. If it does it's the phone. If it doesn't its probably an app. Reboot normally and add your apps back one or two at a time. Observe and when you notice the problem then you have narrowed down to the last one or two apps you installed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

davegutz

Reaction score
Apps Freeze Razr Maxx HD

Right on! My culprit was "Startup Auditor" carried over from my old Droid X. I would suggest no assuming that ANY of your old favorite apps will work on your new phone. Start fresh and add apps incrementally.

Brax59

Reaction score
Okay I have looked from forum to forum trying to find if anyone else has this issue, I have this issue where it will just freeze for a few seconds then turn off and turn back on. If this is the problem you had I need exact directions. By the way I also had a droid x before this.... I highly doubt that its because of any apps because of any apps because I checked on running apps and the only ones that run are the administrative apps. So please don't be like everyone else and tell me it might be an app because I got this damn thing a week ago and there is nothing on this. Please even if you have seen other problems I need help.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If its doing it constantly and you have not modified it in any way i say take it back...

Could try a factory reset, but like you said its probably not an app....

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

davegutz

Reaction score
Okay I have looked from forum to forum trying to find if anyone else has this issue, I have this issue where it will just freeze for a few seconds then turn off and turn back on. If this is the problem you had I need exact directions. By the way I also had a droid x before this.... I highly doubt that its because of any apps because of any apps because I checked on running apps and the only ones that run are the administrative apps. So please don't be like everyone else and tell me it might be an app because I got this damn thing a week ago and there is nothing on this. Please even if you have seen other problems I need help.
That happened just once or maybe twice during the crazy week mine was locking up. You seem to have a different problem, maybe hardware. I think people are motivated to post here their problems that were caused by apps here because they can help others who may have the same problem. If I had a hardware problem I probably would not have bothered to post my experience. Verizon was quite willing to swap out my phone but we both felt a software problem caused by me was a possibility so I tried for a few more days.