Razr Maxx - 4.1.2 (98.72.16.XT912) very slow

eagle923

Reaction score
After getting the OTA update a while back, I've noticed my phone is excruciatingly slow at times now. Especially opening Chrome or unlocking it from sleep. Sometimes when I open Chrome it'll take 30-40 seconds to get to a web page (on wifi or LTE) and none of the buttons (home, menu, back..etc) will work until it either times out or finally loads. The phone also gets extremely hot while browsing or listening to music/podcasts, which it never did before.

I've done a factory reset and have only a few apps loaded again. My app list that I've installed after the reset are :

Fifth Third (banking)
Capital One (banking)
Overdrive Media Console (library audio books)
DoggCatcher (podcasts)
Dropbox
Amazon Appstore

I've looked at the usage stats and things and none of those are using a ton of battery or have unusual uptime.

Last night I tried clearing the cache again and it seems a bit speedier, but just a bit ago it hung while trying to answer a call. I could see the incoming call but the screen wouldn't respond to answer it.

Is there anything else to try? So far JB has me disappointed, this phone used to be extremely fast!

skipbl92

Reaction score
After getting the OTA update a while back, I've noticed my phone is excruciatingly slow at times now. Especially opening Chrome or unlocking it from sleep. Sometimes when I open Chrome it'll take 30-40 seconds to get to a web page (on wifi or LTE) and none of the buttons (home, menu, back..etc) will work until it either times out or finally loads. The phone also gets extremely hot while browsing or listening to music/podcasts, which it never did before.

I've done a factory reset and have only a few apps loaded again. My app list that I've installed after the reset are :

Fifth Third (banking)
Capital One (banking)
Overdrive Media Console (library audio books)
DoggCatcher (podcasts)
Dropbox
Amazon Appstore

I've looked at the usage stats and things and none of those are using a ton of battery or have unusual uptime.

Last night I tried clearing the cache again and it seems a bit speedier, but just a bit ago it hung while trying to answer a call. I could see the incoming call but the screen wouldn't respond to answer it.

Is there anything else to try? So far JB has me disappointed, this phone used to be extremely fast!

I have been having the same slowness issues. I thought they were issues with ICS and would go away with JB. The slowness may be the Motorola UI, so that is why I am about to go down to my local VZW store and pay full price and upgrade to the S4.

masmizael

Reaction score
I was experienced slow issues like you but in ICS in my XT910 Maxx, in my case i detect if i turn off the sync in background after a few minutes the phone start responding faster, so then I suspect that a recently updates of some apps or some new apps that I installed recently was consuming a lot of background processing, but my app list is over 100 apps so you maybe should try disabling dropbox to see if this help because is one of the apps that need to be connected a lot to be in sync or just disable background sync some times,

Now that I did the OTA to JB the phone run a bit more faster but still remain the background sync slow effect

NWRULES

Reaction score
Having the same issues. Phone is so slow now , and Chrome has really gotten slow. Takes forever to load, and just doesn't respond like it should.

jeffrey72

Reaction score
This is the issue with my Maxx, and my wife's razr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cleassan

Reaction score
Same here. Sometimes it won't even respond when I try to unlock the phone. I don't have an upgrade available until April, but this phone is barely usable.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I wonder if my problem is akin to these in this thread? I my Maxx is stock up to date as is all my apps so this concerns Dolphin and Chrome which neither will load. I get an "X has stopped responding" message. If I click "wait" it still may not respond so I click to exit button. The app certainly closes fast enough. Needless to say I don't get online with my Maxx much lately and I wonder if there is a better browser to try by popular preference?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

sc0ttiee

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with my Razr Maxx since upgrading to 4.1.2. I stopped using chrome altogether - the delay was 5-30+ second every time. I also wiped my cache and uninstalled a bunch of apps - the phone is overall still very, very slow. The keyboard lag is sometimes more than a couple of seconds (often 10 seconds or more). The screen will frequently freeze for extended periods. I am constantly getting the "_________ is taking a long time to respond. Do you want to close it?" message on everything from settings to contacts to browser to downloaded apps. (Though usually when I get that message, it becomes responsive again immediately after I press "wait.") As others have said, it frequently freezes while I'm unlocking it. Sometimes I even miss calls because the phone sometimes takes several seconds to respond to pressing the unlock button.

It worked basically flawlessly before upgrading to 4.1.2 so i'm fairly sure that was what caused all of these problems. My upgrade date is 6 months away - I'm going to try to keep using it until then because I don't want to pay full price, but I might just give up soon.

jeffrey72

Reaction score
I've talked to several people using the Razr, and Razr Maxx and we all are having the same issues about a year into having this phone. Verizon wants us to upgrade.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
eagle923

eagle923

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with my Razr Maxx since upgrading to 4.1.2. I stopped using chrome altogether - the delay was 5-30+ second every time. I also wiped my cache and uninstalled a bunch of apps - the phone is overall still very, very slow. The keyboard lag is sometimes more than a couple of seconds (often 10 seconds or more). The screen will frequently freeze for extended periods. I am constantly getting the "_________ is taking a long time to respond. Do you want to close it?" message on everything from settings to contacts to browser to downloaded apps. (Though usually when I get that message, it becomes responsive again immediately after I press "wait.") As others have said, it frequently freezes while I'm unlocking it. Sometimes I even miss calls because the phone sometimes takes several seconds to respond to pressing the unlock button.

It worked basically flawlessly before upgrading to 4.1.2 so i'm fairly sure that was what caused all of these problems. My upgrade date is 6 months away - I'm going to try to keep using it until then because I don't want to pay full price, but I might just give up soon.

My experience is identical to this. I'm running a custom rom called Aviator now and it has largely eliminated many of these problems. Still very disappointing since it worked a great a month ago. I had my OG Droid for 3 years and hoped this one would do the same, but in its current state it is unusable.

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
Wow... Sorry you guys have these issues.
I have not had these problems.

Keep us posted

nhepler90

Reaction score
I have yet to experience any issues with jellybean as well. Good luck!