Random Power Cycling Since Update

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Since updating to NCL25.86-11.5, my phone has been suffering from random software resets, making the phone unstable to almost unusable. Did 4x cache wipe. Is anyone else experiencing something similar to this? Z Force Droid 64GB. 2nd device (1st one had dead pixel issue.). Bug report has been generated and saved to Google drive.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
jpiarull

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
This problem has become dramatically worse now. Whenever placing the phone down tabletop or into my pocket, the battery level drops precipitously from 65% to nearly zero within a matter of seconds. Screenshot attached. Please let me know if any of you are having similar issues.

OP
jpiarull

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Wouldn't allow me to attach it previously. No screen on time and no misbehaving apps.
dceb5dee0ad476ebec79d19815391e9e.jpg

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you by any chance use Wireless Qi charging? What your'e describing was happening with my Droid Turbo. Wireless charging for reason whacked out the battery calibration and I would need to reset it.

On the Turbo, that's done by holding down the power button continuously until the phone rebooted (ignore the "Power Off" dialogue..just keeping holding power button).

I've since stopped using my wireless charger and that problem has disappeared. Kinda sucks, but that what it was.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Do you by any chance use Wireless Qi charging? What your'e describing was happening with my Droid Turbo. Wireless charging for reason whacked out the battery calibration and I would need to reset it.

On the Turbo, that's done by holding down the power button continuously until the phone rebooted (ignore the "Power Off" dialogue..just keeping holding power button).

I've since stopped using my wireless charger and that problem has disappeared. Kinda sucks, but that what it was.

in your case, do you think it might have been a bad wireless charger?

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's quite possible. It's a Choetech that I got off of Amazon. The same thing happened occasionally on Lollipop, but quickly became a regular deal after the Marshmallow update. So I just quit using it.

If/when I upgrade my phone, I'll probably try another wireless charger.

OP
jpiarull

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
All,

To answer your questions, no.

Sorry haven't been available lately, swamped trying to do way too much. With that being said I do not wireless charge ever and I always use my OEM 0.75 Amp 5 Volt Motorola charger from 2010 from the Motorola Droid. I stay away from the QuickCharge 30 altogether due to overheating and potential battery damage.

May have been a defective unit I received honestly.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have not had any battery issues with that System Verizon update. That's a drastic drop, and strange dead spots in the battery graph. Have you tried running in Safe Mode for a while when you notice the battery start to drain? Might help determine if it's an issue with a system app / system process or a Play Store app.

OP
jpiarull

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
All,

To answer your questions, no.

Sorry haven't been available lately, swamped trying to do way too much. With that being said I do not wireless charge ever and I always use my OEM 0.75 Amp 5 Volt Motorola charger from 2010 from the Motorola Droid. I stay away from the QuickCharge 30 altogether due to overheating and potential battery damage.

May have been a defective unit I received honestly.

I did several cache wipes, bug reports, attempted to get to safe mode when all of a sudden that's all she wrote.

The device literally had the screen start to flicker without warning and any time I took the phone out of my pocket to use it or place it flat on a tabletop, the phone would reset or be totally frozen. Did an aggressive apps/data review one-by-one, no rogue apps or any unusual patterns. Tried to do a factory reset when all-of-a-sudden, phone died altogether, would not charge whatsoever. General hardware failure. I returned it to Motorola and received a replacement device 2 business days after.

I didn't even get the opportunity to do a factory reset, as the device itself completely kicked-the-bucket biting-the-dust. That was my last resort and wham, phone was kaput.

Not really sure what happened here. Needless to say the replacement device has performed admirably, even better than my original one from 09/16, inspite of my heavy usage (32 hour charge cycles on regular 5 watt USB with 4 hours SOT before using one of the battery mods to bring it up to 80% capacity, repeat partial charge process 24 hours after and then slow charge the device with the Incipio mod on the backside using the 5 watt charger mentioned before.)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Glad to hear Moto took care of you via warranty @jpiarull. Good luck with the replacement phone, hope it continues to perform flawlessly.