Random JB Questions

OP
BKApple

BKApple

Reaction score
Another quick access of Google Now is to tap the search button (magnifying glass) at the very bottom right, below the screen.

Yes, I can access it that way and I've added the Google search bar to a home screen, but hitting the magnifying glass softkey or the one in the search bar or the word Google in the search bar, opens Google Now with the keyboard. This is a tiny annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. I have to hit the back key to be able to see all the cards in Google Now.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Yes, I can access it that way and I've added the Google search bar to a home screen, but hitting the magnifying glass softkey or the one in the search bar or the word Google in the search bar, opens Google Now with the keyboard. This is a tiny annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. I have to hit the back key to be able to see all the cards in Google Now.

Press and hold (long press) the magnifying glass on bottom right of screen opens to cards without the keyboard.

You can also put the Google app icon on your home screen, not the bar just the blue Google icon from your app tray.

Those work for me and allow me to see the cards and also say "Google" to initiate a voice search

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!

OP
BKApple

BKApple

Reaction score
Press and hold (long press) the magnifying glass on bottom right of screen opens to cards without the keyboard.

You can also put the Google app icon on your home screen, not the bar just the blue Google icon from your app tray.

Those work for me and allow me to see the cards and also say "Google" to initiate a voice search

We are the Droid!!
Resistance is futile!!

A long press isn't the work around for me. If I'm the only one experiencing this, a factory reset might be in the future for me.

OP
BKApple

BKApple

Reaction score
I'm going to let this go now, I swear. Reading other forums, this is a known quirk. I've added the Google icon to my dock and that brings up Google Now sans keyboard.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm going to let this go now, I swear. Reading other forums, this is a known quirk. I've added the Google icon to my dock and that brings up Google Now sans keyboard.

When the update was brand new, when I long press the mag. glass, it opened the new feature, GoogleNow, however I did not accept to use it.
Now when I long press it, or use the blue Google icon, it does what you describe. (Opens a Google search page with a keyboard)
So wondering why, when the Google search comes up with the keyboard, I press my menu button which brings up a dialog with "settings" .
I clicked on settings and the next dialog that opened said GoogleNow is off.
Is there a chance that this is the reason for problem you are having?

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
A long press isn't the work around for me. If I'm the only one experiencing this, a factory reset might be in the future for me.

If you long press the magnifying glass at the bottom of the phone it still brings up the keyboard or does it not bring up Google Now at all?

Or are you saying you don't want to have to do the long press? You can shorten the length of that press to about 1 second (short delay) in the settings - > accessibility section.

If I simply tap the magnifying glass on either the Google bar or at the bottom of the phone, it brings up the keyboard.

If I do the icon or the long press it doesn't bring up the keyboard.

I think it's the difference between a traditional Google search (keyboard) and using Google Now voice search (no keyboard).

We are the Droid!!
Resistance is futile!!

Reaction score
Actually I see what he is saying. When you long press, the keyboard does come up. If you say the word google at that point the keyboard goes away and waits for you to speak your search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
BKApple

BKApple

Reaction score
If you long press the magnifying glass at the bottom of the phone it still brings up the keyboard or does it not bring up Google Now at all?

Or are you saying you don't want to have to do the long press? You can shorten the length of that press to about 1 second (short delay) in the settings - > accessibility section.

If I simply tap the magnifying glass on either the Google bar or at the bottom of the phone, it brings up the keyboard.

If I do the icon or the long press it doesn't bring up the keyboard.

I think it's the difference between a traditional Google search (keyboard) and using Google Now voice search (no keyboard).

We are the Droid!!
Resistance is futile!!
Any kind of press, long or short, on the search softkey brings up the keyboard.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
That's odd, mine doesn't do that, but I use SwiftKey, so maybe that's the difference.

We are the Droid!!
Resistance is futile!!

Papaw314

Reaction score
I also use SwiftKey. When I long press the search key, the keyboard pops up too. I'd prefer that it didn't.

Rogus

Reaction score
I also use SwiftKey. When I long press the search key, the keyboard pops up too. I'd prefer that it didn't.

Me too. I also tried it with Swype and the stock Android keyboards just to see and they all pop up when pressing the search key.