Random JB Questions

BKApple

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since playing around with JB, I have a few random questions.

1. How can I bring up Google Now without the keyboard? Currently, a short or a long press on the magnifying glasses brings up Google Now with the keyboard. I could add a Google search widget or icon to a homescreen, but I'd rather not since there's a dedicated search softkey.

2. On ICS, a double tap of my home key brought me to the camera. I cannot remember how I did that. Is setting the softkey to a specific action still available?

3. Can anyone explain why I have two folders in my albums called "camera"?

4. Do you know why it shows double entries for some contacts in the stock text messaging app? I have two Elizabeths and I double checked that each contact had only one mobile number, e-mail, etc. and they do. However, when I use Google Now to send a text or go straight to the text messaging app, I'm presented with double entries. Screenshots below. Ideas?

Screenshots.png

Extra credit: What do you recommend to replace Google Reader, since it's going away this summer?

Thanks!

Reaction score
The camera thing I have no idea. Do they both work? The contacts might be from different accounts , are the Elizabeth's the same person but maybe 1 is for facebook and 1 is for Google Plus. If so then you would have to merge the contacts. Also when I bring up my Google now the keyboard does not show up. To change the double tap, going to settings, accessibility, all the way at the bottom. Did you do a factory reset your phone before you installed jelly bean?

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
2. Are you using the stock launcher or a 3rd party launcher? I use Apex and that option is in the Apex settings under Behavior.

3. I think the 2 folders are pictures stored on both the phone and sd card. Somehow the default save location must've changed with JB.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
Oh and #4... If you go in and edit one of the entries, press the menu button and you can "join" the duplicate entries.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
Sorry for bombarding you with replies, but I just found that if you open the camera app, click on the gear option, and scroll down; there's an option to save to the sd card rather than internal storage... which is probably where your old pictures are saved.

OP
BKApple

BKApple

Reaction score
The camera thing I have no idea. Do they both work? The contacts might be from different accounts , are the Elizabeth's the same person but maybe 1 is for facebook and 1 is for Google Plus. If so then you would have to merge the contacts. Also when I bring up my Google now the keyboard does not show up. To change the double tap, going to settings, accessibility, all the way at the bottom. Did you do a factory reset your phone before you installed jelly bean?

Thank you so much! My home button is now programmed how I like it.

I should have mentioned this, but I don't have any other accounts synced with my contacts, only Google, so this double phantom contact thing isn't coming from FB, Linked In, etc.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Are you using backup assistant or YouMail? If you go to System Menu you can scroll down to Accounts and see if there are any other mystery accounts syncing.

OP
BKApple

BKApple

Reaction score
2. Are you using the stock launcher or a 3rd party launcher? I use Apex and that option is in the Apex settings under Behavior.

3. I think the 2 folders are pictures stored on both the phone and sd card. Somehow the default save location must've changed with JB.

I checked and the photos are stored on the SD card. I'm not sure what the location was on ICS. I wish the folders could be merged.

OP
BKApple

BKApple

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Are you using backup assistant or YouMail? If you go to System Menu you can scroll down to Accounts and see if there are any other mystery accounts syncing.

I'm not; just regular Google account and I don't have any contact info on the actual phone. All of my contacts' information is stored in Google.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I checked and the photos are stored on the SD card. I'm not sure what the location was on ICS. I wish the folders could be merged.

You should be able to move the pics from the folder that you don't want them in, to the folder you do want them in.

Reaction score
You should do a factory reset. I live by the rule of factory reset right before updating the OS and then again right after the update just to make sure there is no weird issues.

TriciaH

Reaction score
On the double folder problem, mine did that when I got the Christmas Eve update. This was the solution that worked for me. Settings>All Apps>Media storage. Clear data. Reboot phone. I only had one folder of each afterwards. Hope it works for you.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
The quickest way to google now is to tap on the "google" in the search box at the top of your home screen.

I too had multiple contacts but it turns out that they were more or less separated because of slight differences between them. For instance, I had one contact that showed up three different times because they were in my phone book with a mobile #, were a FB friend with one email, a google+ contact with a different email and a linked in contact with a slightly different first name (James vs Jim).

For each duplicate I opened up the main contact and chose edit. From there I went back to the menu and chose "Join" then connected each one from the list. Took a while but fixed my multiple contact problem.

David

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Another quick access of Google Now is to tap the search button (magnifying glass) at the very bottom right, below the screen.