Random freezing/lockups?

Stormwing

Reaction score
For some reason in the past few weeks my Droid's been sorta randomly freezing and not responding for a while, sometimes when loading web browser pages or changing orientation, other times I'm not sure why. It stops responding, the screen goes off, and I don't know what's what anymore so I hit the power button a few times (and it reboots from the droid eye), or do a battery pull. There's only one time where I had the patience to wait/it came back after a while.

Anyone have a similar issue? The two possible apps that seem to be annoying are home++ (but its so nice) and the built in browser (such a pain!).

JayMonster

Reaction score
The browser by itself is certainly not the problem. Home++ *could* be. There are plenty of complaints about freezing and Force Close issues on their Discussion group (Discussions - Home++ Issues | Google Groups). How many additional Home Screens have you created? What else are your running?

mynameiserich

Reaction score
I love home++ as well but I get random force closes etc so I have ditched it for the time being. I use GDE but it lags a little. Standard home has the least problems, but is very limited.

JayMonster

Reaction score

You bluetooth problems are interesting, but were actually beside the point of the intial poster (both on this thread and the one you posted on at code.google.com).

Without doing a factory reset (I understood you reasons you didn't want to do that), you could try removing PandaHome and see if that is causing your lockup problems.

The Bluetooth... well... I am willing to stipulate that I suspect there is work to be done in that regard.

srothkin

Reaction score
Actually, I have had the same complete freezes as the originator of the google issue. Originally I thought they were random, but eventually through observation I noticed they always happened after I had recently been in my car.

If I notice that my car reports failure to connect to phone via bluetooth and then check the phone shortly after arriving at my destination, I can sometimes do some things (e.g. view my calendar) but it will be sluggish and often I can no longer open the notification bar. If I wait longer, the phone will appear to be frozen -- tapping on an app icon (or even long tapping home) will appear to not respond (but may eventually come back with a message that the app I am trying to launch is not responding). In all cases, I need to reboot the phone to recover. Sometimes even trying to power off is really slow so I have to pull the battery.

Sure, it could be related to Panda Home. But I lose a lot if I uninstall Panda. Plus, Panda was working fine for a couple of weeks. The problems started the same day I received the 2.0.1 update. So, I conclude that something in the 2.0.1 update is responsible for the problems.

The bluetooth tie-in is simply a narrowing down of where the problem might be.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Yes, I do realize that. The only reason I mentioned it being off the main topic, is that I think perhaps you should have started a new thread with the Bluetooth issue. That is clearly an issue for everyone.

Yes, Panda Home (and GDE and Home++) were all running fine BEFORE 2.01...and I suspect there will be an update to them that will stabilize them again... but right now, I think you may be dealing with two distinct problems. (as I see it)

srothkin

Reaction score
I'm not saying that I have a "bluetooth issue". I am saying that i have a "freezing/lockup" issue (the topic of this thread) and that it appears to be related to bluetooth. I'm also suggesting that other people (including the original poster) who are having "random freezing/lockup" issues see if perhaps this kind of bluetooth relationship holds for their issues.

Additionally, presuming that this is a bug added in Android 2.0.1 (which I believe it is), letting Google know about it may increase the chance of getting it fixed soon.

BTW, Panda has had a number of improvements and stability fixes since 2.0.1 came out. They reduce how often Panda seems to restart, but they don't seem to have any bearing on the freezing issue.

JayMonster

Reaction score
I'm not saying that I have a "bluetooth issue". I am saying that i have a "freezing/lockup" issue (the topic of this thread) and that it appears to be related to bluetooth. I'm also suggesting that other people (including the original poster) who are having "random freezing/lockup" issues see if perhaps this kind of bluetooth relationship holds for their issues.

Additionally, presuming that this is a bug added in Android 2.0.1 (which I believe it is), letting Google know about it may increase the chance of getting it fixed soon.

BTW, Panda has had a number of improvements and stability fixes since 2.0.1 came out. They reduce how often Panda seems to restart, but they don't seem to have any bearing on the freezing issue.

I will not dispute you since I do not have an alternative home set up myself. I am just basing it on the complaints, and the common thread of people with alt homes having locking issues.

Whatever works best for you. I wish you luck.