Recent Roms freezing my Droid?

myk.robinson

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm no stranger to flashing Roms, been through quite a few. Seems that every ROM I have tried for the past two weeks has installed flawlessly, but makes my Droid freeze at random to the point where I have to give it the three fingered salute to reboot it. I thought I may be having a hardware problem, so I got a replacement phone from verizon yesterday, flashed with Insanely Clean, and it seemed to be working well yesterday. This morning, I went to use the browser, and it froze, same as the old phone.

What can I do to troubleshoot the freezing? I has happened across multiple ROMs on two different phones. I think there may be something in these roms that doesnt agree with my phone(s), but I don't see other people having this problem in the forums for any of the ROMs I have used.

My needs are simple. I just want a stable rooted rom with a black taskbar.
Any ideas what could be causing the freezes?

thanks for any advice given,
-myk

sdierks

Reaction score
Which ROM are you running. I assume your running FroYo. I was running Froyo from I don't know how many different dev's including stock with the same problems. Freezes everywhere from the logging into Google servers for first time to launching apps to even just unlocking the phone.

I switched back to 2.1 and have yet to have problem with it so not sure if its a hardware or something in the ROM because I have tried both leak and source builds so it doesnt make sense to me. So I imagine its gotta be something in the code somewhere not a hardware problem.

OP
myk.robinson

myk.robinson

Reaction score
I flashed Ultimate Droid 5.0.1 this morning and so far, so good.. If i have any problems, I will try what you've suggested and juse use a rooted 2.1 rom until the official release of 2.2 comes out, rooted of course.

Thanks for the response.

OP
myk.robinson

myk.robinson

Reaction score
still curious, is there a log file or something I can look at in the terminal that may give some clue as to what's causing the freezing? Running JRummy's LithiumMod, which is supposed to be based off the latest Froyo build, and I got two freezes today. I used the three button command to reboot, and froze again in less than 60 seconds.

I would really like to try to troubleshoot this, I love the customization of these rooted roms, but I need stability...

OP
myk.robinson

myk.robinson

Reaction score
right now i'm running whatever is packaged with LithiumMod. I replaced SuperUser Permissions with version 2.1, a lot of people said they were having problems with the 2.2 version. I also set the CPU to 250min/600max.

I have a theory that the SU permissions issue may have been running my CPU full bore and causing the lockups. That is only theory, mind you, based on the comments of some others who noticed a tremendous battery drain and excess heat sine the 2.2 release of SU, and all their problems went away when reverting to the older version.

I flashed SU 2.1 today and havent had a lock up yet. May be coincidence, or it may be resolved.

I still welcome any theories or troubleshooting steps.