Random Cell Phone Facts

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Our phones growing up were a "party" line. We all shared one number. We just asked the people who were talking to wrap it up so we could call out. No big deal.
Same here. There was about four families that shared the same line and we were all neighbors. Sometimes we would hear things we shouldn't. And, of course, as kids we were always trying to spy & phone prank our neighbors.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Whoa! And beat your butt at 16 she should! not only because the bill of $987 but because how dangerous it could be talking to complete strangers.

Oh I paid every penny back. And yes, very very dangerous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
I never understood the party line thing.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I never understood the party line thing.

Basically it was the purpose of having really cheap phone service. Your phone line was shared with several others in the same exchange (ie. If you lived where your first three phone digits were 636, then you shared the same phone line with others in the 636 area). Often times when you picked up the phone to use it, there would be some other household on the line and you had to wait till they got off to use the phone. It was super easy to listen to other family's conversations. And you always had to wonder if someone on your party line was listening to your's. It was basically the same as having several phones in your house but only it was several phones in your house and neighbors houses, all connected on the same line.