Random App Launches/Outbound Calls Overnight

jhanford

Reaction score
This is the most bizarre thing ever.

I woke up this morning and went to check my email on my phone. I unlocked it (pattern lock) and the camera app was running. Not something I ran at all yesterday.

So I hit back and it took me to a new email with a garbage "body" and garbage email address (not @ or anything resembling an email address).

So I hit back and it took me to google search with a bunch of garbage searches.

So I hit back... and so on... through a number of apps until I finally got to the home screen.

I then noticed that the two apps that were running the night before in the task bar ("Screen Filter" and "Screebl") were no longer running. So I decided to reboot and see what happened. Everything rebooted fine.

Then 10 minutes ago, my wife told me that her phone had received two calls from my phone at around 3:20AM (luckily her phone was on vibrate and charging in the kitchen)

So I checked my outbound recent calls and sure enough my phone had called her and two other people at around the same time. These three are not next to each other in my contacts list.

What's stranger about this is that I have "Call Confirm" installed which you have to say "Yes" to in order to make the call. I can only assume that if I did NOT have "Call Confirm" installed, then maybe EVERYONE would have received a call from me.

Assumptions: I'm thinking something I installed started sending random BS to the phone. I HAD installed "Button Saviour" yesterday as the hard keys are quite loud when using the phone at night and this is the only thing I can think of that would do anything like this.

Questions: Why 3:20-ish? Why not immediately on "sleeping"? Why stop after a few apps/calls?

Conclusions: I've uninstalled "Button Saviour" as this seems the most likely culprit. Any other Droid X users using it? Anyone notice anything like this before?

Mikejl

Reaction score
Have you purchased a new charging cable recently? A bad cable has been known to cause these kind of things to happen.

Mike

OP
jhanford

jhanford

Reaction score
Have you purchased a new charging cable recently? A bad cable has been known to cause these kind of things to happen.

Mike

No, same old one I've had for a few months.

schatzy62

Reaction score
Have you considered that you may be Sleep Calling and playing game with you phone. LOL

I had this happen once about two months ago. No new apps installed, No buggy apps running. Phone just made three calls late at night while I was sleeping. Never done it again. Don't know what caused it either. No problems since.

I'm sure none of this probably helps but I thought I would share that I did have a similar experience.

sandman1987

Reaction score
Mikejl said it best. Aftermarket charging cables sometimes will cause your phone to do this as they don't supply the proper amount of voltage or something. I saw a youtube video of a guys phone (there's a link somewhere on DF.net just don't know where off hand) doing exactly what you are describing. I think the charging cable would be the first thing to check if it was me.

channoff

Reaction score
My X is doing exact same thing

jhandford, have you managed to fix this yet? My phone had camera app open when I woke up and it called my GF twice in middle of night and also called the #Warranty Center. Did same thing next night and she freaked as she is on a biz trip oversees and she thought there was an emergency. Not good. Waiting to see if it does it again tonight.

To add fuel to the fire, my GF sent long scared text after the calls and my phone sent text back that just said "Wo". Um, now my Droid is condescending too????

Oh, this gets better, as I am typing this, my phone (on wall charger) just opened the Add Widget to Home Screen function. Awesome.

OP
jhanford

jhanford

Reaction score
Hi channoff. Sorry to say, it hasn't happened since that one time, so I can't say what might have caused it. I *did* uninstall "Button Saviour", but I can't say whether that's what caused it or something else.

channoff

Reaction score
Looks like a common consensus is aftermarket, non-OEM wall chargers. Makes sense since I was temporarily using an iPhone charger. Damn that Steve Gates guy :)

igknight

Reaction score
I had this issue on my D1. It was a car charger that Verizon sold me that caused the issue. The voltage problem was so bad it messed the phone up to the point it did it even off the charger. Brought it into a store, told them the problem, and they gave me a new phone on the spot, never looked at the phone.