RadioShack Likely Heading Into Bankruptcy; Plans to Sell Stores to Sprint and Amazon

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
That was one thing I really liked about Circuit City. Most of the larger stores had a Magnolia Home theatre room, (I think that's what it was called) where you could really get an idea of how receivers and speakers sounded in a true home theatre environment. You just can't get that sitting at your computer. LOL

S5 tap'n
magnolia hi-fi right? I believe I remember those stores. sadly until we get true virtual reality these kind of stores are going to go the way of the dodo. I much prefer checking out an item before buying it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Was just in radio shack a few minutes ago. Everything's on sale and this person called and asked if they had anything on sale. Everyone in the entire store started laughing. Lol

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
The downside to Amazon acquiring the brick and mortar stores is the states with them can start charging taxes on all internet purchases of those living there.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Best Buy is treading water. They are only good for walking in and getting a feel of an item before driving home and ordering it from the web.

This use to be the case a year or 2 ago, but lately their prices have been right in line with Amazon. And in my case since Amazon just opened a DC in my state, I'm now getting hit with taxes either way. So, for me the incentive to order isn't what it once was.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I grew up in a RS store, on of my riding buddies managed one. They had every thing I muffed up putting my Heathkit's together. They had every battery in stock for any cordless phone. I bought my second cell phone from them, anybody need a battery charger for the aluminum brick phone? Free, less shipping. They made awesome (hackable) scanners back in the day, still have mine, basically 0 hertz to 1,000,000,000 hertz, slight embellishment but Brian Williams will confirm. But, alas, brings us to the present, Saturday I was searching for a cr2436 and 2721 bulbs, thought RS would have them, Nada,nil,no why Jose!!! Pshaw, life goes on, albeit without RS. May they rest in peace. As far as Amazon's taking over their stores they will try to negotiate the rent/lease to death, lost cause with their profile.

We must...We must...increase our boost

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I grew up in a RS store, on of my riding buddies managed one. They had every thing I muffed up putting my Heathkit's together. They had every battery in stock for any cordless phone. I bought my second cell phone from them, anybody need a battery charger for the aluminum brick phone? Free, less shipping. They made awesome (hackable) scanners back in the day, still have mine, basically 0 hertz to 1,000,000,000 hertz, slight embellishment but Brian Williams will confirm. But, alas, brings us to the present, Saturday I was searching for a cr2436 and 2721 bulbs, thought RS would have them, Nada,nil,no why Jose!!! Pshaw, life goes on, albeit without RS. May they rest in peace. As far as Amazon's taking over their stores they will try to negotiate the rent/lease to death, lost cause with their profile.

Aluminum brick phone? Interesting.

BTW, which scanner and how do I mod it? I might have to scout eBay.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Funny, every time I've heard stories about Radio Shack closing I think, "they're still in business?" As others have mentioned, I used to get parts there for radios and transistors etc, but now there's nothing to repair, by the time you go get the part, which took hours to find what you needed online you've already bought two of the items you're trying to repair with time wasted...
Oh how I miss the days when things were slower and we didn't need to do 100 things at once...

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Aluminum brick phone? Interesting.

BTW, which scanner and how do I mod it? I might have to scout eBay.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.
2b5aeaf72f8c68761d5869a1540b9b60.jpg

Couldn't find the model number, gave it away 2 decades ago.

I have an old RS pro 43, notice no "A" on that. That in the time the feds said modifiable scanners could not be imported. The mod consisted of a snip here and there, move a couple components around on the mother board. After that you could illegally monitor the old cell phones and most wireless home phones if you were in close enough proximity. Canada still sold continuous coverage units that didn't have certain bands blocked, no clue if they still do. But that band is long gone now.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Oh, well I actually have a HAM radio that was modded to receive those bands as well. Since they made Cellular communications digital, there is no benefit to listening to a bunch of scrambled data.

rayoerg

Reaction score
I used to shop at Radio Shack for years and I have noticed more of these stores are going out of business. I wonder why.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I used to shop at Radio Shack for years and I have noticed more of these stores are going out of business. I wonder why.
The human condition.

People like easiness and convenient. Internet shopping has also added lower prices. Many reasons more I am sure.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would much rather use Amazon Prime from the comfort of my home. I never saw Radio Shack really good for anything. They were just too expensive for my budget.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
As sad as I am to see them go, I hope Amazon gets a nice chunk of stores.

From clock radios, to cable modems they were a local go to spot for electronics. And I much as I like Radio Shack....Micro Center might wanna also look at getting into some of the stores.