RadioShack Likely Heading Into Bankruptcy; Plans to Sell Stores to Sprint and Amazon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
rs_adp.jpg

Here's a bit of slightly off topic, yet relevant, news for you guys today.

We have multiple reports indicating that the classic electronics parts store, RadioShack is nearly defunct. The beleaguered electronics retailer has been struggling for the last decade or more, and may be nearing its "end of life." Supposedly, the vultures are circling to scoop up what's left of its carcass.

One report indicates that RadioShack could sell half of its stores to Sprint and simply close the other half. Considering RadioShack stores are one of the main retail outlets for Sprint, this info has merit. However, there is a second report which indicates Amazon is in talks with RadioShack to buy some amount of their retail stores to be used as pick-up/drop-off locations. Which do you think is more likely to occur (or could it be both)?

Source: SlashGear

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I used to love Radio Shack. You could walk in there and guarantee that you would find what you needed. For the past couple of years though it has always been a bust for me so I gradually started going less and less.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I used to love Radio Shack. You could walk in there and guarantee that you would find what you needed. For the past couple of years though it has always been a bust for me so I gradually started going less and less.

Same here. All these stores we used to go to are not shutting down. First Blockbuster, now Radioshack.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Same as you guys. Used to LOVE going to Radio Shack as a kid. It was like our generations "Best Buy".

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The Radio Shack in the town next to the town I grew up in closed MANY years ago, but I remember going there with my dad all the time for various bits and pieces.

My brother-in-law actually works for them as a store manager. Took a job in a town an hour away from here. His store and the one in town here are both still open for now, but I thought they were crazy to move there for that job.

Guess we'll see what the future holds, but definitely sad to see them go.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I still love radio shack.. I get my leaded solder there... Have to get it through Kester now I guess... If this happens.. But I'll rush over and try to clear em out if this does happen..

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
As long as Radioshack.com is still open for business. Where else can I find an S-Video /RCA to HDMI cable splitter? LOL

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is the END people, I had this lady with her son in my car yesterday " I am a black car for hire operator, FHV in NYC", she worked for some bank, she told her son that Radio Shack will be no more. Just like Circuit City and many more, Amazon has killed most of them, Best Buy managed to survive "for now".

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Honestly I'm surprised they've lasted this long. I thought for sure they were going to close down the same time Circuit City folded, if not sooner than them.
Oh man! Circuit City! Forgot all about them. We had a big one in the "big city." Got some great deals as they were closing though.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What's a radio shack.. kidding. Before Best Buy we had Radio Shack and Circuit City. Best Buy made Radio Shack seem ancient. You walk into Best Buy the lay out is just better. Everything from phones, computers, TVs, and movies are laid out in a manner that draws you to them. With Amazon, Ebay, and other online stores brick and mortars are not going to be able to survive running business the way of yesteryear. Now they are going have to find a way to provide that Walmart style of having everything they need there.

How long do you think it will be before one of these threads will be made for Best Buy?

Best Buy have managed to rebound from losing a lot of business to Amazon but they are having to rethink their strategy to going with smaller Best Buy stores (Best Buy Mobile).

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used to work for Circuit City long ago. They closed a year or two after I left them for greener pastures.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think Best Buy has done well to try and compete. After buying a few things from them over the holidays, their order online, pick up in store thing is seamless and they have really improved their mobile app. I really don't see them going away anytime soon. Sure you can buy everything on Amazon, but people still enjoy going into a physical store to look at and play with the latest electronic devices. Especially home theatre systems, computers, printers etc.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Best Buy is treading water. They are only good for walking in and getting a feel of an item before driving home and ordering it from the web.