R2D2 flashing - need confirmation

wseyller

Reaction score
A friend got a new R2D2 but it was cheaper than the D2. She doesn't care much for the stars wars stuff.

I want to know from current R2D2 owners if what I am going to do is ok. I heard it would work but I need to be sure.

I am planning on rooting the phone with Z4Root 1.3.0 and using Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap v1.0.0.5 to backup the phone as it is now.

Then using RSD Lite to flash the 2.3.20 Full SBF file for the Droid 2 (VRZ_A955_2.3.20)
downloaded from this post: TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

Not sure if root will still be there, but if not root again. Then install Liberty Rom 1.5

Just want to make sure everything is compatible or is there is problems with do this. I'm just guessing that flashing the SBF instead of going straight to liberty will eliminate any issues with OTA updates?

louy99

Reaction score
You don't need to sbf before installing liberty but it isn't a bad idea to do it so you know what to do if you ever have to sbf again.

Sent from my DROID2

OP
wseyller

wseyller

Reaction score
I was aware that I didn't have to sbf. I just wondered if there was any advantage at all to doing so such as updated baseband/kernel/OTA to worry about later, ect. I know how already, i just don't know all the specifics to this particular model of phone yet and there is limited info it seems.

WarMachin3

Reaction score
Yes u are correct I have flashed the sbf then rooted then bootstrapped to liberty. There are settings so liberty will update itself but not patch the rom as far as I can tell everything is running seemless.

Sent from my liberated R2-D2... May the Force be with you always...

OP
wseyller

wseyller

Reaction score
Awesome. I didn't want her to receive an OTA update and it cause a problem when I'm not around. It is her first android phone.

WarMachin3

Reaction score
My friend just brought up check phone settings cause I think the ota can be shut off but make sure u back up a copy of the stock image just incase an update pushes its way in... unlikely that will happen I belive the liberty rom doesn't get ota updates but it is unless they change the bootloader. That hasn't happened in a while but better safe than without a phone for a while till the new hack comes out.

Sent from my liberated R2-D2... May the Force be with you always...