Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So, as of May 1st, there's no smoking ANYWHERE in public in Michigan. Not even smoke breaks at work or a cigarette at the bar.

Today, I bought the Smoke Tip electronic cigarette starter pack. Http://www.smoketip.com

I'm not suggesting you buy THIS brand. Do a Google search. There are several options. These just happen to be sold locally. Pick what's best for you.

So far, I think this is the most viable way for me to quit. I'm using the new law as an excuse. I've only been using the system for a little while, but I'm enjoying it.

For me, the actions of smoking are harder to give up than the smoke itself.

It's a bit steep to get started, but VERY MUCH cheaper in the long run.

Anyone else in the same boat or a similar one out there?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

HMJB

Reaction score
Started with the nicotine gum for 2 weeks for the intense cravings, then I stopped using the gum and went cold turkey after that.

Still get the cravings every now and then even almost 5 months later :icon_eek:

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tried a piece of the gum today. Tasted like crap, burned a little, and have me more of a buzz/woozy feeling than smoking has in years.

Like I said, it's the act that keeps me smoking. If I can get that from here and purchase refills with less nicotine over time, I feel like I'll be golden.

I don't think te craving will ever go completely away, but this is definitely a cheaper and healthier alternative for me.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I smoked like a pack a day for a few years. I tried to quit like 58 times. Hah. Seriously I would say I am done, then go to a concert and smoke then smoke more the next day and so on. I am glad to say my girlfriend and I together have joined forces and finally quit. I don't even think about cigs anymore actually. Maybe sometimes well share one at a concert or something, but I usually think its gross after that.

So yea, it's all about will power and what you got in your life... smoking was so great, but being healthy is better imo...

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, I think the novelty will keep me on the electronic cigarette long enough to get off the real ones and the vapor is already feeling better than smoke. Not to mention no need to search for a lighter.

I'm sure I'll have one once in a while down the line.

My roommate/cousin is in the same situation, so we'll see how he does. Not sure if he'll try this route. He's like me, quit for a few days and gone back multiple times...

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have always wanted to try one of those just for kicks tho. Sounds crazy man. I mean I have a hookah and smoked shisha out of that quite a bit... and for a while I thought it was more 'healthy' than a cig... apparently not hahahah.

I did learn that blowing smoke rings thru one another is a good past time...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did the electronic cigarette but reverted to the real ones :(
Started tasting like plastic to me.

I'm all for public health, but where's the line to tell people what they can and can't do?

armeddroid

Reaction score
Same here. I'm trying to quit too and now I started to goto the gym. That helps kill my cravings but I still smoke. Keeping myself busy is helpful too. You end up being so much more productive when your not smoking. Cause you realize how much time on soo many levels you lose by smoking. So I'm feeling ya on that.

P.S.
I miss my avatar. The site fix this yet? Lol

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It actually kind reminds me of smoking from a hookah, as far as flavor and feel goes.

I do agree with Martin though. Back in Ks, when they first did this, it was just places that you could get into if you were younger than 21 that you couldn't smoke in. that's more reasonable to me. Let me smoke in the bar! Haha

lumpysherman

Reaction score
I smoked for 22 years. One Tuesday morning (never start anything on a Monday) I slapped the patch on, followed the directions for the program to the letter and never looked back. That was 8 years ago, never put on an ounce and even lost 160lbs and feel great. Various methods work for different people, whichever you try hopefully it is successful. The key is you actually want to quit. Stay positive!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First of all, congratulations to Johnny and anyone else who is trying to quit smoking. I've been there myself. I smoked over 20 years and can tell you for me it was quitting cold turkey that did it for me, finally for good in May 1996. I wish I'd have quit sooner because now that I'm almost 50 I'm feeling the effects of all that smoking did to me. I have gained a lot of weight over the years, so now I know what's the next step for me - losing at least 100 lbs. Lumpysherman.....you're an inspiration and congratulations on losing that much weight. Not trying to hijack the thread, so if you can briefly tell me what you did to lose weight could you PM me?

Again, good luck to all and hope whatever method you use that it works!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad to hear some of you have lost or are trying to lose the weight!

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't fit the bill for a traditional smoker.
Been a gym rat for 12-13 years, played hockey for 22 years and still going, work a physically demanding job.... am in great shape yet I STILL smoke cigs.

I often wonder if being fit hides the ill effects smoking creates, but I don't doubt for a second that they will catch up to me. Quitting isn't easy... :(

eshef

Reaction score
Good luck to all of you trying to quit. I smoked for almost 30 years, trying to give it up and never quite succeeding. What worked for me was something I read about, for 3 weeks every time I lit up, I said August 1 I'm going to quit. (Pick a date). Just kept repeating it. Then on the first I quit. I won't say it was easy, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. (On the other hand, my family informed me that despite what I thought, I wasn't the cheerful, calm, rational person they knew and loved :icon_evil: ) It's been 14 years and I can honestly say I don't miss it a bit. But you do have to change your routines - the first cup of coffee, after dinner, those "automatic" light ups are hard at first. But it can be done. And you do feel better :icon_ banana:

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
good luck guys just as a warning, don't go to europe while your trying to quit cause everyone smokes there apparently. While I was studying in italy some of my classmates even picked up smoking lol. Good luck.