quick random reboots

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a known moto thing, getting random reboots. They can be made worse however by overclocking, lcd density changes, etc.

This is absolutely false. Please don't make statements like this. I'm not going to be rude to you so let's just say that you are badly misinformed.

Droid is NOT known for random reboots. If you are having random reboots usually it means that you have an app that is not playing well with Droid. Antivirus and task killers are problem apps, if you have them installed remove them.

If that doesn't work alone then you need to try a factory data reset out of your privacy section. This will clear everything up and have your Droid running like it was brand new. You will lose data and you may also lose your unpaid apps but all your paid apps will return. If your free apps don't then you will just have to get them. Don't get them all at one time, try getting a couple a day so you can spot the problem application.

Inkarnit

Reaction score
It's a known moto thing, getting random reboots. They can be made worse however by overclocking, lcd density changes, etc.

This is absolutely false. Please don't make statements like this. I'm not going to be rude to you so let's just say that you are badly misinformed.

Droid is NOT known for random reboots. If you are having random reboots usually it means that you have an app that is not playing well with Droid. Antivirus and task killers are problem apps, if you have them installed remove them.

If that doesn't work alone then you need to try a factory data reset out of your privacy section. This will clear everything up and have your Droid running like it was brand new. You will lose data and you may also lose your unpaid apps but all your paid apps will return. If your free apps don't then you will just have to get them. Don't get them all at one time, try getting a couple a day so you can spot the problem application.

I think what he was referring to is the known bug associated with 2.2 on the Droid X. It is indeed known by Motorola that these reboots happen and it's apparently due to them undervolting judging by their "fix" in 2.3.320 where they increase voltage to stop the random reboots.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

sephtin

Reaction score

Sorry hookbill, not sure which rock you've been hiding under, but there is a thread on Moto's site, in which they admit it's a known issue, as well as resources like this one:
Motorola engineering fix to solve Droid X update woes

That clearly state that Moto is aware of random rebooting being a known issue caused with the 2.2 update.

Please note that this is the DroidX we're talking about, and my statement is most certainly NOT misinformed.

People running perfect stock DroidX phones, with factory OTA 2.2 settings ARE getting reboots (Unless you'd like to call my wife misinformed as well, for running a perfectly stock 2.2 with almost NO apps or changes to it.. and she's getting reboots).

My guess, is that you thought this was a DroidG1 thread or something? Clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sorry hookbill, not sure which rock you've been hiding under, but there is a thread on Moto's site, in which they admit it's a known issue, as well as resources like this one:
Motorola engineering fix to solve Droid X update woes

That clearly state that Moto is aware of random rebooting being a known issue caused with the 2.2 update.

Please note that this is the DroidX we're talking about, and my statement is most certainly NOT misinformed.

People running perfect stock DroidX phones, with factory OTA 2.2 settings ARE getting reboots (Unless you'd like to call my wife misinformed as well, for running a perfectly stock 2.2 with almost NO apps or changes to it.. and she's getting reboots).

My guess, is that you thought this was a DroidG1 thread or something? Clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks!

OK, my bad. I didn't realize I was in an X thread and to be honest I'm still recovering from getting my first bill with the new "discounted" plan. Apologies for not looking at where I was posting.

sephtin

Reaction score
OK, my bad. I didn't realize I was in an X thread and to be honest I'm still recovering from getting my first bill with the new "discounted" plan. Apologies for not looking at where I was posting.

No worries. Totally understandable reaction to someone saying that about droid g1... :)

scubieman

Reaction score

No worries. Totally understandable reaction to someone saying that about droid g1... :)

Sephtin, As we spoke a known motorola issue but who will fix this? Will it possibly be in a upcoming rubix version? My reboots are pretty much daily and I love my custom ROM too much to go back to stock. No special apps ran like overclocking or anything. Just confused. And yes I read most of the thread :)

Inkarnit

Reaction score

Sephtin, As we spoke a known motorola issue but who will fix this? Will it possibly be in a upcoming rubix version? My reboots are pretty much daily and I love my custom ROM too much to go back to stock. No special apps ran like overclocking or anything. Just confused. And yes I read most of the thread :)

Considering that you read most of the thread, you probably read that this occurs on stock DX's also, which means that RubiX has nothing to do with it. You'll have to wait until Motorola fixes it, which seems to be just by increasing the stock voltages. Maybe you could try tuning at high voltages to reduce/eliminate the issue.

scubieman

Reaction score

Considering that you read most of the thread, you probably read that this occurs on stock DX's also, which means that RubiX has nothing to do with it. You'll have to wait until Motorola fixes it, which seems to be just by increasing the stock voltages. Maybe you could try tuning at high voltages to reduce/eliminate the issue.

Alright. I did read on a different forum that there is something the x looks for when running and after so many times not finding it on a custom rom the phone reboots to clear space. I wish I had better info. i will try to find it

Inkarnit

Reaction score

Alright. I did read on a different forum that there is something the x looks for when running and after so many times not finding it on a custom rom the phone reboots to clear space. I wish I had better info. i will try to find it

It's looking for blur and on a blurless ROM there is no blur. However, even stock this is occurring so...

sephtin

Reaction score

There's a lot of confusion regarding the reboots. There are several different causes, actually...
One of them is exactly what you stated.. and is related to running custom ROMs. I believe it's a function in the framework regarding blur contacts, which can cause some of the reboots from the lock screen.
Lock screen reboots have been reported on stock MotoBlur as well, but not as frequently as during a call, or playing a very resource intensive game for example.
Depending on what/when your reboots are happening, will determine how/when they'll be fixed. I think I've only had 2 reboots since Focused version 1.6 came out. :S

Next version of the framework of Focused hopefully fixes stuff.

dogswind

Reaction score
I haven't had any reboots since installing the .320 leak back when it was first posted. Also none on rubix 1.9.0 so far. :icon_ banana:
/knock on wood!

scubieman

Reaction score
I haven't had any reboots since installing the .320 leak back when it was first posted. Also none on rubix 1.9.0 so far. :icon_ banana:
/knock on wood!

i hope you get some :)

Actually I never got them as bad as now. But it ONLY happens when I unlock phone. But i like the lock screen so I don't accidently pocket dial.:icon_ banana:

sephtin

Reaction score
/knock on wood!

Have heard reports of people on 320 still getting reboots.

Also, reports are that the "fix" in 320 was to increase voltages to help with the reboots. Unless there's something in the kernel that helps (that no one will ever know about...), then when you load a ROM that lowers the voltages again, it probably isn't the reason you're not getting them anymore... *shrug*

Glad you're not getting them anymore.. I personally hope you do NOT get reboots. ;) hehe... But then again, I also hope that no one ever does... Here's to hoping!

dogswind

Reaction score

Actually I never got them as bad as now. But it ONLY happens when I unlock phone. But i like the lock screen so I don't accidently pocket dial.:icon_ banana:
Lol! I feel ya. I had them a lot before the leak. I tried No Lock and WidgetLocker numerous times, but I still got them with the lock screen disabled anyway.

sephtin

Reaction score
/knock on wood!

I know a couple poeple that use no lock with widgetlocker.
BTW, even though I wasn't getting reboots, I started using widgetlocker. I really like it. :p The extra couple sliders and flashlight button on the lock screen are pretty cool.

On the lock screen, I added the flashlight shortcut from widgetlocker, that uses teslaled app (from market) to use camera flash as a flashlight. Not gonna tell you how incredibly useful this is when in the middle of the night taking the dog out, and not being able to find .... you get the idea... for me, having the flashlight button right on the lock screen is really convenient! heh. (You're welcome for the too much information. ;)