Quick question: Can I wipe my SDHC card completely?

muad

Reaction score
I'm selling my D1 since I now have an X. I already did the factory wipe/reset.

I'm just wondering if I can format or completely erase my microSDHC card in my win7 PC and the phone will be fine?

I want to make 100% sure None of my information or files are on the phone.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I can't format the card in the phone via Safe Mode, as the phone is reset and boots into the activation/start here screen.

MrC1122

Reaction score
a factory reset will wipe all info on your device and return it to a "new" state. (as it was when you first got it) it is perfectly safe to format the card on the device. i would suggest formatting before performing a wipe.

OP
M

muad

Reaction score
a factory reset will wipe all info on your device and return it to a "new" state. (as it was when you first got it) it is perfectly safe to format the card on the device. i would suggest formatting before performing a wipe.

Thanks for the input. However, after performing a factory reset, the microSDHC card still had al of my photos, sounds (ringtones, notifications), music, and any folders left by applications I had installed.

I manually deleted most by inserting the microSDHC card into my card reader, but there are some "andoird" folders that I was unsure about.

So, since I already did a factory reset and can not do a format in the phone, can I format the card from my PC (in either windows 7 or ubuntu), without causing issues for the new owner?

THanks.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is what I have done before, wipe the card completely with your computer, put it in your device and power up, go to settings/sd card and phone storage/ and unmount the SD card then choose format, after the card formats remount it and you are done

OP
M

muad

Reaction score
Here is what I have done before, wipe the card completely with your computer, put it in your device and power up, go to settings/sd card and phone storage/ and unmount the SD card then choose format, after the card formats remount it and you are done

Thanks tparker. However i did a factory reset so i can't access the settings. When the phone boots up, it shows the activation/start here android icon.

Unless i can somehow bypass that (i tried and all i can get to are wireless settings).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
M

muad

Reaction score

Thanks tparker. However i did a factory reset so i can't access the settings. When the phone boots up, it shows the activation/start here android icon.

Unless i can somehow bypass that (i tried and all i can get to are wireless settings).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just go touch the android to begin, but don't sign in to your account there is a later option then you can access the settings after you can do another reset if you like and then package it up for sale

OP
M

muad

Reaction score
No go. Phone tries to activate, and even after it fails there is no way to access the settings that I could find.

All well, it was worth a try.