quick Froyo 2.2 question

joeylion

Reaction score
Hi everyone... i am a newbie... quick question...

Just rooted my phone and now have Froyo on my SF(love it!). I noticed there is now a "Mobile Data" toggle switch in the drop down menu...

1) What does it do?

2) What are the benefits of it?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
From your description it sounds like a switch to turn off the sending and receiving of data over your carriers network... Probably most useful when roaming as to not incur the extremely expensive roaming data charges.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Speed_419

Reaction score
That is exactly what it is used for. It also comes in handy when you are worried about battery life during an above average usage day.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
J

joeylion

Reaction score
Does it prevent me from getting text messages or application notifications?

Reaction score
No I wouldn't think so since its only data so you should still be able to text and call.

Speed_419

Reaction score
Nope. Just turns off data. Email, surfing, any program that refreshes data. Basically it is like unplugging the modem on your computer. The phone still works, but no data. Text on Verizon travels over phone circuits so they aren't affected, but Google Talk would be..

OP
J

joeylion

Reaction score
so my gmail app wouldn't push my emails through until I tirn it back on, correct?

OP
J

joeylion

Reaction score
great, thanks so much! I've lurked this forum for a while now...I'm glad I joined!

Speed_419

Reaction score
No problem. If you REALLY want to start learning more and want to scratch your head with wonder and amazement check out XDA. Those guys do some amazing things! Most of the stuff we do to our phones originates from their work..

OP
J

joeylion

Reaction score
XDA? Who are they?

Speed_419

Reaction score
XDA Developers is another forum for those that make Froyo, Rooting and all the rest possible. Great place to read and learn, but be forewarned that stupid questions are frowned upon and homework is expected before posting any question... Still, you get great insight into what is going on by following what they do.

OP
J

joeylion

Reaction score
ahhh... I gotcha. are you implying that I might post a stupid question??? lol... jk jk. I'm always up for learning all this kind of stuff.

Any tips on where I should go from here now that I am rooted and have froyo? any certain apps or things I should be doing?

Speed_419

Reaction score
Definitely not saying you would, but I know I did. Still don't say much in that forum, but I do tend to read it a lot. Some amazing things that just makes me want to learn more.

As far as where to start or programs to use....Wow, that is a completely different thread.. There is so much out there that it truly is hard to tell someone where to begin. Since you are already rooted and have Froyo you are definitely off to a good start. If you understood the process for what you did to get there, great! If not, I would try to understand better exactly what you did and how you did it. The knowledge will be invaluable later as you progress. Understanding root, recovery, the different OS's and how you can use it all will definitely give you a better overall picture. I still find myself saying, "F it, I will try it even though I'm not sure what I'm doing." I know I feel better about it when I understand it all rather than taking a leap of faith. Still, even when you mess up there are usually people to help. I how that helped, I know I didn't really give you a specific direction.

Reaction score
ahhh... I gotcha. are you implying that I might post a stupid question??? lol... jk jk. I'm always up for learning all this kind of stuff.

Any tips on where I should go from here now that I am rooted and have froyo? any certain apps or things I should be doing?

I would suggest things like titanium backup for your backups and shootme for posting screen captures of problems you run into. Also wireless tether never hurts for free tethering :)