Questions about rooting at&t S5

ahbba

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
s5
Hello. i would like to root my At&t samsung galaxy S5. It is on firmware 4.4.2. I did some research and am a bit confused and am in need of some help.

1. How can I check to see if my s5 is fully capable of getting rooted?
2. Is rooting safe and is At&t able to find out I rooted my device? Is there a fix if my device gets bricked?
3. Is it true towelroot does not trip knox so my warranty will not be voided after root?
4. Which rooting method is the best?
5. Which updates will cause root to not work? For ex: Theres a security update. Will this break root or is it safe to update anything as long as I stay on the 4.4.2 kitkat software?

Thanks.

sdevans80

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note8.0
Okay, I have the att galaxy s5, towel root is fully capable of rooting this phone, but it will no unlock the bootloader. So basically you can get root access, which allows you to run root apps, which are great. With the bootloader locked you cannot install custom recovery such as clockwork mod or twrp. If you download the clock work mod app after rooting and grant it root access you will see an option to download clockworkmod recovery, DO NOT DO THAT! Trying to install custom recovery the typical way will BRICK your phone, it is a soft brick and fixable but still a pain in the rear end. There is a work around to install a custom recovery, but I haven't done it yet.

General rule of rooting is NEVER UPDATE firmware or security policies, at least not when they first come available. Any type of update like that can and will likely cause you to loose root access. Always give it a couple weeks after the updates are released and then check here of on xda forums and see what people are saying about it.

here is the rooting process http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-root-any-galaxy-s5-with-towelroot-verizon-att-international/

At this point you can download root checker from google play to verify you have root access.

After you root go here
https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/adzkJidyyt7

and grab the latest version of Supersu and download the apk and install it on your phone, once you open it it will prompt you to update the binaries, just select yes, then it should prompt you to disable knox, just select yes. Thats it, you are good to go. Download all the root apps you want, supersu is the app where you can manage what apps have root access and what apps do not.

If you are new to rooting I suggest you do some research on root apps, google is your friend.

Also this method does not trip the knox counter, which is what would void your warranty. There are tons of posts on how to easily unroot also.