Questions about rom/themes

Newt86

Reaction score
I'm still learning about android so bare with me and this is going to be for a DX/bionic perspective.

From my understanding the D1 had ROMs due to its unlocked bootloader. I notice the DX has ROMs and themes on this site so does that mean someone cracked the bootloader and everyone rejoiced?

Next, since the DX still has a locked(im guessing???) bootloader what is the difference between a ROM and theme? ROMs from my understanding are just a custom recompiled OS, which can't be done with a locked bootloader?

Lastly, with Bionic having a locked bootloader is there a chance one of these awesome Devs cracking it or a chance of the bionic having ROMs?

TY good sirs

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm still learning about android so bare with me and this is going to be for a DX/bionic perspective.

From my understanding the D1 had ROMs due to its unlocked bootloader. I notice the DX has ROMs and themes on this site so does that mean someone cracked the bootloader and everyone rejoiced?

Next, since the DX still has a locked(im guessing???) bootloader what is the difference between a ROM and theme? ROMs from my understanding are just a custom recompiled OS, which can't be done with a locked bootloader?

Lastly, with Bionic having a locked bootloader is there a chance one of these awesome Devs cracking it or a chance of the bionic having ROMs?

TY good sirs

No. Not much, if anything, because without a custom kernel is not really a ROM. Your understanding is incorrect in the broad sense but in a very specific sense it's quite accurate. Look up 2048-bit encryption and you tell us. :)

That's the short answer. The long answer is no it has NOT been cracked but there's a project in the works to bypass it entirely. ROMs are custom-compiled (no recompiling) OS variants that use custom code for tweaks and optimizations and changes. The code for Sourcery is VERY different from that for CyanogenMod is VERY different from that for Ultimate Droid is VERY VERY different from that used for the stock OS. :) And there is no chance in Hades that we will ever truly crack the bootloader on any of these devices. The best we can hope for is backdoor workarounds like the one currently ongoing for the X. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/93955-getting-custom-kernels-running-droid-x.html

However, as you can see, progress is good and if we can get more support the bootloader WILL be bypassed. :)

OP
N

Newt86

Reaction score
thank you for the detailed answer :) +1