Questions about buying from letstalk, wirefly, etc....

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok I have seen all of the ads on various sites from Wal-Mart, to Dell, to Best Buy. I can get an Eris for free and a Droid for $119.99-$149.99 (cheaper thru bing). My question is how much of a hassle is it dealing with these third party companies??? We are looking to dump AT&T and have all of our numbers ported over to Verizon. If you have a problem with your handset can you deal with a corporate store or do you have to go back through wirefly/letstalk. How much of a hassle is it to "change your mind" within the 30 day window. Also while talking to a rep at a corporate store he said that if I buy through one of these places that I can't add the Verizon Extended Warranty or WPP. That I have to insure through who I bought it from. Any truth to that??? Any other things to worry about with these companies outside of the obvious "change your plan and you pay the price" deal??

coolkidd

Reaction score
The rep is telling you the truth regarding WPP insurance. They cannot insure a device if they did not sell it to you.

How much really are you saving if you are going with a 3rd party? I mean if its just $10, then I would just go to a verizon store. This way, if you do not like it and you are within the 30-day, you can just go back and return the phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I only deal with corp stores....but YMMV.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The rep is telling you the truth regarding WPP insurance. They cannot insure a device if they did not sell it to you.

How much really are you saving if you are going with a 3rd party? I mean if its just $10, then I would just go to a verizon store. This way, if you do not like it and you are within the 30-day, you can just go back and return the phone.

No across the board it is around $300 for three phones. We are already gonna have to pay ETF's from AT&T so I was looking to save a little money on the handsets. Trust me if it was only $10 or even $50 I would just deal in store.

What about buying them in store at Best Buy. I know they have their geek protection but that doesn't cover loss or theft. If I buy in the store there can I still add the WPP on my own via Verizon customer service???

2amReply

Reaction score
Did you read Wirefly's purchase terms? Read the thing about paying back the Equipment Discount Amount. Thats why I didn't go through them.

Sure, I would have saved over $50 at that time, but I'd rather not take the chance.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Did you read Wirefly's purchase terms? Read the thing about paying back the Equipment Discount Amount. Thats why I didn't go through them.

Sure, I would have saved over $50 at that time, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Yes I know about that. Hence the "change your plan and you pay the price" comment in my first post. My biggest concern is dealing with them after the sale. Simply put I don't want to. If we didn't have to pay the ETFs from AT&T this would not be that big of a deal. But shelling out $330 there and another $300 or so for phones at a corporate store is a bit much at one time.

The next best deal I can get is from Best Buy which would only be $149.99 OOP for the three phones. But still need to find out if I can get the WPP if I buy from there. Did an add a line with AT&T several years ago from there and all I had to do is call and add WPP to that line. Don't know why it would be different with Verizon.

Huma

Reaction score
I bought my phone from wirefly and had no problem adding WPP insurance. I think some sales reps are BSing you so you buy from them.

Droids

Reaction score
There's no reason you can't call Verizon after you activate the phones and add insurance at that point. Just need to do it within 30 days. Should not matter where you purchased the phone. Call Verizon and confirm.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any other things to worry about with these companies outside of the obvious "change your plan and you pay the price" deal??
Always read the fine print. I doubt anyone here keeps current with the terms and conditions of every single reseller out there.

Last edited: